A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

power steering pump whinny when cold

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering pump whinny when cold

So my power steering pump is quite whinny when the temps are below 5deg. F. Is there something I can do to quiet it down or is it shot. Its fine and works great above 5deg F. When below 5deg F it works good just loud. Any ideas?
Old 01-07-2014, 12:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 921 Likes on 753 Posts

Did you check the fluid level? The fluid contracts when cold.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by larsenracing
So my power steering pump is quite whinny when the temps are below 5deg. F. Is there something I can do to quiet it down or is it shot. Its fine and works great above 5deg F. When below 5deg F it works good just loud. Any ideas?
When did you last change the PS fluid ?
I change mine every two years. CHF 11S

Last edited by royclark; 01-07-2014 at 06:08 AM.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 391 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by royclark
When did you last change the PS fluid ?
I change mine every two years. CHF 11S

I'm with Roy on this. Flush the fluid, adjust the level and the noise will go away.

Pentosin CHF 11S or the new product CHF 202.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
I'm with Roy on this. Flush the fluid, adjust the level and the noise will go away.

Pentosin CHF 11S or the new product CHF 202.
+1
Old 01-07-2014, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

I got an incredibly loud, whiny noise today upon cold startup in 0 degree weather, that went away in around 5 seconds. Does that sound like power steering, or was something maybe just frozen and loosening up? It didn't happen again on warm starts.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

So what's the easiest way to drain it? I have never done it and owned it since 09. Probably the original fluid. Also how much do I need to buy to refill?
Old 01-08-2014, 01:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by larsenracing
So what's the easiest way to drain it? I have never done it and owned it since 09. Probably the original fluid. Also how much do I need to buy to refill?
It depends on how you change it.
The method that I used, suck it out of the reservoir with a pastry baister, refill with clean fluid, run the engine for a few seconds while turning the steering wheel lock to lock. Keep doing this until the fluid is clean. I ran 3 Litres through it to flush it and get it really clear.

Or you can.
Empty the reservoir tank and remove the return pipe. fit a peice of pipe to the reservoir return connection and seal it off.connect a legth of pipe to the return pipe and feed it out through the wheel arch through a clear section of pipe and secure it in a large (4ltr) container. This now takes two people. One observes the reservoir with the lid off and one starts the engine then slops it when the observer calls low fluid in the reservoir.
Fill the reservoir to the top and restart the engine but rapidly go to full lock, stop when low. Refill start and go to the other lock, stop fill start and centralise the steering, refill and observe the colour of the fluid for clarity. You may have used a litre by now.
Run the engine again and stop when low. The fluid should be clean and you will have used about 1.25 litres.
Replace the pipe work secure the clip and fill the reservoir to the Minimum and run the engine for a couple of minutes. Top up to the correct level, test drive the car then check the level again. And of course use the correct fluid. Job Done.

The actual system is 0.85 liters.

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/s...ng-fluid/page2

Last edited by royclark; 01-08-2014 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 391 Likes on 352 Posts

I do mostly the same as Roy: suction out, refill, drive around the block, repeat until I've consumer the 1L can.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
I do mostly the same as Roy: suction out, refill, drive around the block, repeat until I've consumer the 1L can.
The trouble with driving round the block is that you are contaminating the fluid that you have just put in.
I lift the front of the car so the front wheels are off the ground, suck out as much as possible, fill with new fluid, run the engine for a few seconds while going lock to lock.
By just running for a few seconds you are just pushing the new fluid into the system and filling the reservoir with old fluid ready to start all over again.
Keep doing this until the fluid that you syphon into the baister is like new.
I use about 3L and it takes me about half a hour every two years.

Last edited by royclark; 01-08-2014 at 12:41 PM.

Quick Reply: power steering pump whinny when cold