A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

power steering pump whinny when cold

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, I will try this and hope it helps.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Solved my squeal by just topping off the power steering fluid for now. Used Pentosin CHF 202, which is only slightly cheaper than CHF 11S, but I found that it was more readily available at this point since 202 superseded 11S.

Pentosin states that 202 is just fine to be mixed with 11S, but not the older CHF 7.1 for those that are curious. C6s should all have either 11S or 202 in them already depending on the year.

Will plan a full flush in the summer when it's not -10* outside.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LLskier23

LOL, I was think the same thing
Old 01-28-2014, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LLskier23
Solved my squeal by just topping off the power steering fluid for now. Used Pentosin CHF 202, which is only slightly cheaper than CHF 11S, but I found that it was more readily available at this point since 202 superseded 11S.

Pentosin states that 202 is just fine to be mixed with 11S, but not the older CHF 7.1 for those that are curious. C6s should all have either 11S or 202 in them already depending on the year.

I was taught to change German mineral oil PS fluid by color. You are fine if the fluid is translucent green. Translucent or opaque brown is bad. And five years/ 75k regardless. Every few months I put a drop of PS oil on a paper tool checking color. Can be an early indicator of serous trouble.

Is 202 the same color as 11s?
Old 01-29-2014, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I just did a flush and it made a huge difference in the steering feel.

First attempt was to do a DIY - use the mityvac to suck the fluid of the reservior; but there is the damn filter in the reservoir which prevents you from putting the tube down to suck it off. The return pipe wouldn't come off (I was afraid of fluid spilling everywhere, so I didn't apply to much force).

Took it to an indy and he did the first method mentioned by roy; fill the reservior while one person turning the steering side to side and the other pouring sucking the liquid out. He used about 1.6liters of the Pentosin 11S.

Originally Posted by royclark
It depends on how you change it.
The method that I used, suck it out of the reservoir with a pastry baister, refill with clean fluid, run the engine for a few seconds while turning the steering wheel lock to lock. Keep doing this until the fluid is clean. I ran 3 Litres through it to flush it and get it really clear.

Or you can.
Empty the reservoir tank and remove the return pipe. fit a peice of pipe to the reservoir return connection and seal it off.connect a legth of pipe to the return pipe and feed it out through the wheel arch through a clear section of pipe and secure it in a large (4ltr) container. This now takes two people. One observes the reservoir with the lid off and one starts the engine then slops it when the observer calls low fluid in the reservoir.
Fill the reservoir to the top and restart the engine but rapidly go to full lock, stop when low. Refill start and go to the other lock, stop fill start and centralise the steering, refill and observe the colour of the fluid for clarity. You may have used a litre by now.
Run the engine again and stop when low. The fluid should be clean and you will have used about 1.25 litres.
Replace the pipe work secure the clip and fill the reservoir to the Minimum and run the engine for a couple of minutes. Top up to the correct level, test drive the car then check the level again. And of course use the correct fluid. Job Done.

The actual system is 0.85 liters.

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/s...ng-fluid/page2
Old 01-29-2014, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Worldwidebeagle

Is 202 the same color as 11s?
202 is a deep translucent green, so I assume it's about the same color. I've never seen fresh 11S.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 391 Likes on 352 Posts

Fresh CHF 11S is a nice pine green color.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Fresh CHF 11S is a nice pine green color.
Makes sense both are similar green since they are backwards compatible. A bit like our 12++ and 13 coolant.

I did mine by the second way on my 2003 AR. Once I got the hoses set up, took a minute. Did not notice a change in feel. But my fluid had brown overtones to it. Highly recommended PM that a dealer will never mention.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by am_ver
I just did a flush and it made a huge difference in the steering feel.

First attempt was to do a DIY - use the mityvac to suck the fluid of the reservior; but there is the damn filter in the reservoir which prevents you from putting the tube down to suck it off. The return pipe wouldn't come off (I was afraid of fluid spilling everywhere, so I didn't apply to much force).

Took it to an indy and he did the first method mentioned by roy; fill the reservior while one person turning the steering side to side and the other pouring sucking the liquid out. He used about 1.6liters of the Pentosin 11S.
There is a screen in the opening of the PS reservoir. How did they suck the liquid out? Are the screen removable?