A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Pre oil change routine

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 05:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pre oil change routine

I have never had one but was wondering if there actually is a recommended additive to better flush things out ahead of time or if that is just another "feel good" step ?
Old 04-26-2010, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 163 Likes on 117 Posts

Since not all of the oil comes out with an oil change some amount of any additives you add will stay behind. That thought always bothered me.

Think of it this way. If the Audi engineers who designed the engines thought the additives were good for the engine they would be recommended in the owners manual. They specify a particular type of lubricant for a good reason - they have tested it thoroughly.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I am not a mechanic, so i am only stating that this is what i do and not that this is the correct procedure.

I also agrre with SchwarzS6, addatives are never completely drained. This is what I do on every 3rd oil change ( 5000-6500 miles\change), after removing old oil i use the cheapest syn i could find and fill the car up. I then start her up for a minute or two, flush out the oil and replace with good oil.

Just a side note: Now the last time i did this, i was very lucky and picked up Castrol syn 0-30 at $3 a quart. The price was so good i purchased the last 4 cases RS Struass had left. Sure beats $7.75 a quart.
Also the head mechanic at the dealership told me you can use 5w30 to flush her out. Once again i prefer to keep it synthetic. But in the owner's manual it does say if syn is not available u can use 5w-30 for emergency. But to change oil asap.
Another tip he gave was to jack the car on driver side tilting the oil towards the drain hole.

Last edited by 05whtaudia6; 04-27-2010 at 08:28 AM. Reason: correcting a misplaced sentence
Old 04-27-2010, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 05whtaudia6
I also agrre with SchwarzS6, addatives are never completely drained. This is what I do on every 3rd oil change ( 5000-6500 miles\change), after removing old oil i use the cheapest syn i could find and fill the car up. I then start her up for a minute or two, flush out the oil and replace with good oil.
So you flush out perfectly good motor oil, what is waste of the earth finite resource.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I completely understand your concerns regarding the use of finite resources. Since I haven't done any research on the topic of keeping an engine clean vs. the consumption of finite resources, I would greatly appreciate any information you have acquired.
I would love to find out if the "wasted" finite resource actually saves other finite resources down the road or not. <O></O>
Does a cleaner engine put out less pollution? Does it help keep an engine more efficient thus better MPG performance? Will said engine last longer, thus less manufacturing pollution, less use of raw materials to build new, less waist in the over all picture? Does a cleaner engine produce less noise pollution? <O</O
<O</O

As I said, I haven't done any research to determine which way is better for planet earth, but I welcome any real data you have obtained in your research. <O</O

Last edited by 05whtaudia6; 04-27-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 05whtaudia6
I completely understand your concerns regarding the use of finite resources. Since I haven't done any research on the topic of keeping an engine clean vs. the consumption of finite resources, I would greatly appreciate any information you have acquired.
I would love to find out if the "wasted" finite resource actually saves other finite resources down the road or not. <O></O>
Does a cleaner engine put out less pollution? Does it help keep an engine more efficient thus better MPG performance? Will said engine last longer, thus less manufacturing pollution, less use of raw materials to build new, less waist in the over all picture? Does a cleaner engine produce less noise pollution? <O</O
<O</O

As I said, I haven't done any research to determine which way is better for planet earth, but I welcome any real data you have obtained in your research. <O</O
Do you really think that by changing your Euro spec oil every 5000 miles and washing your engine out with perfectly good motor oil and then throwing it away will make your car run efficient enough to offset those waste?
Old 04-28-2010, 01:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Do you really think that by changing your Euro spec oil every 5000 miles and washing your engine out with perfectly good motor oil and then throwing it away will make your car run efficient enough to offset those waste?
You're a hoot! Thanks! I needed a good laugh this morning.

PS
"I don't know" works quite well too
Old 04-28-2010, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by landjb4u
You're a hoot! Thanks! I needed a good laugh this morning.

PS
"I don't know" works quite well too
I am sure that you get a good laugh out of the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico as well
Old 04-29-2010, 02:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I am sure that you get a good laugh out of the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico as well
Just keep on digging. you'll hit your finite resource in no time.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by landjb4u
Just keep on digging. you'll hit your finite resource in no time.
And guys like you will never find it because you have no clue.

Quick Reply: Pre oil change routine