A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Question On Pads 2007 A6 3.2

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question On Pads 2007 A6 3.2

My lights came on to replace the brake pads. I believe it is the rears. From what I am reading I will have to have a VAGCOM for the parking brake. Is this correct? I have changed rotors and pads before but not on a car with elec parking brake.

While everything is apart should I change the rotors too? The car has 36k on it. They look fine and brake fine.

Thanks
Old 05-19-2011, 07:09 AM
gkb
AudiWorld Member

The rears went before the fronts thats sounds very weird, make sure your positive it's the rears first!
Old 05-19-2011, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

I will check as that does make since unless the front were replaced already

Originally Posted by gkb
The rears went before the fronts thats sounds very weird, make sure your positive it's the rears first!
Old 05-19-2011, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

the rears don;t have sensors - so if your light came on, it will be your fronts. Rears squeal when they are close to being replaced.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

That is good info. I still need the VAGCOM to replace the pads and rotors correct?

Originally Posted by am_ver
the rears don;t have sensors - so if your light came on, it will be your fronts. Rears squeal when they are close to being replaced.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by bud4ya
That is good info. I still need the VAGCOM to replace the pads and rotors correct?
nope - fronts don't need vagcom. You can retract the caliper piston using a c-clamp or something like this - http://stores.channeladvisor.com/Car...itemid=2127783 (you can get it for like $10 at pepboys/autozone).
Old 05-19-2011, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

That is great news. So basically just unplug wear indicator sensor, take out old pads (Hold open with C claps), Pull Rotor. Install new rotor, pads and plug back in sensors. Does this sound about right? If this is the case I can handle that.

Would you think the rotors need to be replaced at 36k miles? or just throw on the pads?

nope - fronts don't need vagcom. You can retract the caliper piston using a c-clamp or something like this - http://stores.channeladvisor.com/Car...itemid=2127783 (you can get it for like $10 at pepboys/autozone).
Old 05-19-2011, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Your steps seem about right. Open the brake fluid reservoir while retracting the piston - you might have to siphon some fluid off incase it overflows (brake fluid is poisonous, so don't siphon using mouth).

The rotor bolts are very tight (at least in the front) - you definately need a breaker bar - I'd put in some penetrating oil on that bolts right after jacking the car. They need to be tightened to 140lb-ft torque.

Don't know about rotors - audi recommends replacing them. Some say resurfacing them is fine. Personally, I replaced the fronts, but did not replace the rear rotors. Brakes seem fine to me. I think I'll be replacing mine every alternate time.

Last edited by am_ver; 05-19-2011 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

I just called Audi Dealer and they want $679 to replace the front rotors and pads. Not sure if that is a decent price or not. They said if you don't replace the rotors you will have issues with noises. I told him the car only has 36k and he said does not matter when we replace pads we do rotors too.

If they don't need to be replaced at 36k I would rather just do the pads. I hate decisions

Your steps seem about right. The rotor bolts are very tight (at least in the front) - you definately need a breaker bar - I'd put in some penetrating oil on that bolts right after jacking the car. They need to be tightened to 140lb-ft torque.

Don't know about rotors - audi recommends replacing them. Some say resurfacing them is fine. Personally, I replaced the fronts, but did not replace the rear rotors. Brakes seem fine to me. I think I'll be replacing mine every alternate time.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

front rotors were about $180 at audipartsnationwide.com (local pickup).

Quick Reply: Question On Pads 2007 A6 3.2