A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Questions about advanced key - Please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about advanced key - Please help

When I approach my car, the door doesn't automatically unlock. I either have to stand by my door for two full seconds, or lift the door handle up twice (once to unlock, once to open door). Is this normal? I thought the car was supposed to detect the key quickly. I use the car everyday so I know its not a power management thing. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Default That's what the manual says

To open the door, you have to touch the door handle, then lift it. Lifting it twice couts as touching and lifting. The manual further goes to mention that you can configure the car to subsequently open all or just the touched door.

If you want to unlock your car from greater distance, press the Unlock key on your remote.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:26 AM

Default Re: Questions about advanced key - Please help

As Stanj says, if you touch the door handle and pause (half a second) the car unlocks. If you just lift the handle it hasn't got time to detect and unlock.

Personally, I like the fact that it doesn't unlock on proximity - it means I can lock the car and stand near it without it locking and unlocking (as I have been told can happen on Mercedes keyless systems).
Old 08-04-2005, 04:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've found if you stand next to the door for a second, it unlocks without touching the door handle
Old 08-04-2005, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

As I approach my car walking at a normal pace, I can hear a faint thunk. The door (any door since I have mine programmed to unlock all five locks at once) then opens first try no double pull required.

If I hurry up to my car I either have to stand beside it for 1 second (one mississippi) or sometimes (rarely) double pull the handle.

If you walk near the car it will unlock, if you touch nothing and walk away it relocks.

This is a cool feature/option.

It is NOT WORTH $750 -- when a far more useful feature voice response is $350 and when keyless ignition is standard on the Infiniti M's.

I am 54 years old, when growing up, my parent's choice of cars: Hudson, model Hornet. My first recollection of a car was that it had pushbutton start.

What goes around, comes around.

$750 -- for what? I installed proximity card readers for an office building I own. It didn't cost $750 (including the cards themselves.)

Cool and useful and fun? Yep. For $750? Not until some new functionality is added (say remote start and warm up cool down leaving the doors locked with sensors to determine if the thing is in a closed in space (a garage) so that it won't run when certain levels of CO and CO2 are present, or programmable auto close of windows and sunroof if you walk away from the car and press the secret lock button -- then it might be worth $750.)

Just a thought.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:11 AM

I disagree-- I think the Smart Key is my favorite option. When you are buying a $52,000 car, $750.00 just isn't that important overall. To be able to keep my keys in my pocket or briefcase at all times is a huge covenience for me to the point that I get irritated in my wife' Acura MDX in having to dig for my keys and push a button. Just shows how far techonogy has come and how lazy we have become (I also find it a hassle to actually manually turn on lights or windshield wipers on other cars!)
Old 08-04-2005, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

I didn't say I didn't like it. I just think it is a "what the traffic will allow" price.

You may disagree with me, but I would rather pay the $750 for the voice commands.

I like Smart Key -- I just think it is overpriced. I have all but stopped using my key, I keep it in a pocket that has a zipper on it and forget it!

I got a heck of a deal on my car and I am not displeased -- this seems to be an option that costs little and could be a lot more popular if the price were cut in half.

It is still a cool option.

Most people didn't like On*star (in my last Audi) but the virtual advisor would read my emails to me when I was on the road between Cincinnati and Cleveland -- and even let me verbally reply.

What people didn't like about On*star was the monthly nut.

My wife's Bimmer has pay as you use "On*star" that makes even more sense.

To each his/her own.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I've never had mine unlock without touching

I don't ever have to pull twice but I basically just stick my hand under the handle, usually unlocks pretty much instantly I don't even pause to open the door, just act as I normally would with an unlocked car and it opens right on time.

Does the car lock when you walk away with the key? I always hit the button under the door handle to lock the car.