A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Rattle or knocking noise from camshaft adjuster at engine start

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 05:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been dealing with this same problem for over a month now. I have a 2010 A6 3.0T, and heard the same noises the original poster claimed he had.

Brought the car in to Audi service (car still under factory warranty). They diagnosed the problem as a broken tensioner which basically stretched the chain and made it unusable. I believe other damage was done to the engine as well. They had to drop the engine and tranny. Waited about 3 weeks to get the parts delivered from Audi in Germany. Got the car back 30 days after I dropped it off. Fortunately, the service department was great and kept me posted several times a week and put me in a brand new Q5 loaner.

Anyway, when I got the car back, the noise was gone and everything was great. However, two days later, I noticed a flood of oil in my driveway coming from under the A6. Also noticed the transmission was shifting harder than normal during the first 10-15 minutes driving (temp outside was in the 30s). Brought it back to the dealer, and they diagnosed it as a leak in one of the gaskets near the new chain. The car is still in service, and they have tried 2 other gaskets but cant' get the oil to stop leaking. This time they gave me a brand new Q7 loaner.

So far, I understand the repairs to have "cost" about $10K, all covered under warranty.

Starting to wonder if this is a common problem from what I'm reading on these boards...
Old 01-10-2013, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by camrnlendy
I've been dealing with this same problem for over a month now. I have a 2010 A6 3.0T, and heard the same noises the original poster claimed he had.

Brought the car in to Audi service (car still under factory warranty). They diagnosed the problem as a broken tensioner which basically stretched the chain and made it unusable. I believe other damage was done to the engine as well. They had to drop the engine and tranny. Waited about 3 weeks to get the parts delivered from Audi in Germany. Got the car back 30 days after I dropped it off. Fortunately, the service department was great and kept me posted several times a week and put me in a brand new Q5 loaner.

Anyway, when I got the car back, the noise was gone and everything was great. However, two days later, I noticed a flood of oil in my driveway coming from under the A6. Also noticed the transmission was shifting harder than normal during the first 10-15 minutes driving (temp outside was in the 30s). Brought it back to the dealer, and they diagnosed it as a leak in one of the gaskets near the new chain. The car is still in service, and they have tried 2 other gaskets but cant' get the oil to stop leaking. This time they gave me a brand new Q7 loaner.

So far, I understand the repairs to have "cost" about $10K, all covered under warranty.

Starting to wonder if this is a common problem from what I'm reading on these boards...
Cant believe it's still an issue, never mind the customer dissatisfaction. Audi still has to pay for the repairs on warranted cars, and this must be costing them a fortune.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by camrnlendy

Don't tell me this... Later this year I was thinking of going from 3.2 to 3.0T, now I am bummed out. One would think that Audi would pay more attention to the 1st batch of 3.2s and try to correct things on the later 3.0T engine
Old 01-10-2013, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

I am staring to wonder if there is a slow brewing problem with the oil pressure/pump in our cars that might be causing these hydraulic tensioners to fail or not work correctly? There has to be something causing this because we hear often enough that the problem comes back even with newer and revised parts like in my case.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jujuC6
Don't tell me this... Later this year I was thinking of going from 3.2 to 3.0T, now I am bummed out. One would think that Audi would pay more attention to the 1st batch of 3.2s and try to correct things on the later 3.0T engine
I was thinking the same thing 3.0T, not any more.......
Old 01-10-2013, 01:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't comment on the reliability if the 3.0T, but in the 4 months I've owned the car, I have come to love it. I had a 2008 A6 3.2 and trades up to the 3.0T and it is a world of difference. A real driving machine. This tensioner problem does seem to becoming an issue. The staff at the dealership said they have seen this a few times recently with the 3.0T.

As far as my experience with this timing chain issue, it sucks, but the dealership has been good to me and AOA is now involved and may be making my payments until I get the car back.

Like someone mentioned, I do wonder if AOA will eventually cut the cord and buy me out of the car. If the repair bill under warranty continues to rise, I can't see them letting me stay in the car. So far the repairs are 1/3 of what I paid for the car when I bought it CPO this year.

Anyone ever have Audi take the car back?
Old 01-11-2013, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well, just got the car back after replacing the lazy passenger tensioner and now the car sounds and feel amazing. So happy my baby is back and best of all it cost me nada the 2nd time around. Now I will investigate oil pressures over time with VagCom if that's possible. I will take data periodically to see if there are any changes in pressure over the life of this current oil I just replaced last week. Not sure if measuring the oil pressure is going to tell me anything but it is a start. I am stating to think that there could be deposits collecting somewhere over time and changing the oil flow and pressure. Hope the others don't get me next.

Last edited by jujuC6; 01-30-2014 at 05:06 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Update

Problem has not returned and I was not successful at measuring oil pressure to take data. One thing that I have done that have seemed to help reduce a little the "normal" brief cold start sound is to shorten oil service to intervals to 3k in the winter.

Last edited by jujuC6; 01-30-2014 at 06:00 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:17 PM

jujuC6, do you have any idea what was involved when they changed the tensioners? They did not have to drop the engine I take it?

I had a "lazy" tensioner solenoid, and I gave the "electroshock treatment"... it works! I posted my experience here, it might help you.

http://forums.quattroworld.com/c6a6/threads/1019.phtml