A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Rear suspension allignment. I went to see a 3.0 tdi quattro avant today..(log...sorry)..

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Rear suspension allignment. I went to see a 3.0 tdi quattro avant today..(log...sorry)..

first registered 21st Nov 2006, 17k miles. It is an S line with virtually every option I would choose and very tidy with hardly a blemish on the paintwork.
Going through the normal checks I noticed that the right rear wheel is about 8 to 10 mm nearer the rear than it should be when compared to the other side.
The owner who has had the car form new said he has never hit a kerb, pothole or anything similar. It is all original in every respect. It is still on the original tyres all round and the wheels are perfect with no kerbing or the like.

Has this been heard of before and is it possible it is within manufacturing tollerance?

Is there any adjustment of the rear suspension arms or subframe positioning?

The rear tyres look perfect with no unusual wear characteristics.

Any ideas?

I would still like to buy the car but at about £27,000 it is lot of money to take on with a problem. The reason I am still interested and not walking away is two fold. It has a sunroof and in manual 6spd. Both these are a farirly rare combination to find.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 174 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Not sure how you measured/determined the delta, but that difference may be due to the tolerance...

of the body, and not a misalignment of the suspension. If the tires appear to be evenly worn, then that would indicate there isn't an alignment problem. If you took it for a test drive, see if it pulls one way or the other. If it doesn't pull, then I would conclude there isn't a problem, as the current owner as stated.
Old 05-04-2008, 01:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It is out enough to see quite easily when looking at the car side-on. The gap.....

is greater at the front and enough to say there is something wrong.
Old 05-04-2008, 03:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good question for your audi dealer.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I know, it is just that he has another person going to look at it on Monday.....

and we have a bank holiday weekend so nothing can be done until the middle of next week.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try to look at other Audi examples. Do they look as bad? Not mine!
Old 05-04-2008, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Rear suspension allignment. I went to see a 3.0 tdi quattro avant today..(log...sorry)..

There is an assumption that cars come out of factories correct

Decking, or when the major components of the vehicle are mounted to the body/chassis has a lot of tolerance built in. Not every part is the same, not every car is the same.

Personally I would find a frame shop, or better yet a chassis race shop with someone who knows what they are doing and can measure to see if the subframe is out or there is another issue.

Judging from my limited time on here and people's various complaints about tire wear and other alignment issues I'd say Audi's decking procedures are not too good.

Its not voodoo to loosen and move a sub frame but it does take someone experiences who truly understands chassis systems. This is not just someone who does basic alignments which is why I'd suggest a race shop. Often "race" cars or factory cars that are tracked people want specific alignments. If the car came out of the factory correct it can be done, if it did not it still can be done but the whole suspension system needs to be moved.

They will have a lot more experience with that and can give you an honest answer.