A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Reliability??

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reliability??

Consumer reports lists the A6 as "worse than average" reliability.

(The A8 is "Much worse than average" !!!).

What have been your experiences with reliability?

Thanks.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What years? What engines? What constitutes unreliable to you?
Old 03-23-2006, 01:09 PM

2005 or 2006 (preferably 2006); 4.2 (which I'm getting); anything where you have to visit the dealer
Old 03-23-2006, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Here it goes (long)

The primary reason Consumer Reports rates the reliability of the A6 worse than average is because of the widespread advance key problems that all A6's (especially MY2005 and early build MY2006) and all A8s/A8Ls (especially MY2005) have that Audi is having extreme difficulty fixing for good.

Other than oil leaks (which have been limited to the V6 where they have been relatively isolated), I have yet to see any reports of fluid leaks with the current A6. The V6 versions of the previous A6 as well as the previous RS 6 are notorious for fluid leaks.

Transmission problems, primarily with the V6, have also been isolated on the current A6. The previous A6, especially the 2.7T and RS 6 are notorious for transmission issues.

There have been some reports of head gasket failures with the V6 version of the current A6, primarily with early and mid build examples of MY2005.

Compared to the current A8/A8L, which have had a lot of serious MMI problems (most likely due to the retractable MMI screen), especially MY2004 and early build examples of MY2005, MMI problems have been relatively isolated on the current A6, most likely due to the fixed MMI screen.

Overall, the current A6 is far more reliable or far less unreliable (depending on your point of view) than the previous A6, both mechanically, electrically and electronically.

As for the current A8/A8L, that car's poor reliability ratings from CR are due to some serious electrical and electronic problems for MY2004 and early build examples of MY2005. Middle and later build examples of MY2005 and MY2006 are far better in this regard.

Mechanically, the current A8/A8L is far superior to the previous A8/A8L in reliability, if still not on par with Toyota and Lexus. Electrical and electronic reliability of the current A8/A8L are starting to improve.

If it helps, according to CR, the outgoing S Class, despite being six years old, is even worse in reliability than the current A8/A8L while the currrent 7 Series according to CR, although marginally better right now than the current A8/A8L due to being two years older, was worse or much worse in it's first three model years than the current A8/A8L has been in it's first three model years.

Despite being one year older, the V8 version of the current 5 Series is still poor according to CR and much worse than the current A6 regardless of engine. Now that the six-cylinder versions of the current 5 Series all have the new I6 engine and are receiving twin turbos (for the larger displacement I6 only) for MY2007, the six-cylinder 5 Series reliability in CR will most likely go from average to poor.

I hope this helps.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does a burned out bulb count the same as driveline problems? There have been a few issues

with the 3.2 running rough in some cars, but I haven't heard anything about the 4.2 driveline. Usually just phone or Nav software updates.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default 2005 A6 3.2 - reliability

Car has been awsome for me, I did have three small issues that were addressed:

- sunroof (the little sliding sunshade piece needed fixing)
- CD changer was replaced (sounded like playing Vynil LPs, crackling sound)
- Sensor for the rear driver side seat belt tensioner was oversensitive, threw intermittent error codes - replaced.

My dealer is great, so I basiclly dropped the car off, got a brand new A4 or A6 loaner and drove to work. All the work was done in a day or less and I got the car back in great condition.

If you want perfection, get a simple Japanese car. The more things you have in the car (electronics, motors, etc.), the more can go wrong. My buddy keeps telling me that his Jeep Liberty had zero problems in three years, but it drives like **** (he says that himself, you do NOT want to drive that car in the rain, no traction whatsoever, with 4 WD on), has no cool features (he has the top of the line version, Limited or whatever) and he is always greatful when he gets to drive with me. He's considering getting an A4 Cab next ...
Old 03-23-2006, 01:52 PM

My dad's A6 3.2 Quattro (2005) is 14 months old with 10k miles and 0 problems at all!!!
Old 03-23-2006, 02:08 PM

Default No problems

I too have seen these Consumer Reports comments. I also hear this crap on AutoSpies all the time.

I have a 2003 2.7T with close to 50,000 miles on it and have had only minor issues (a turbo seal that was replaced under warranty and a homelink visor that went bad; also replaced under warranty). And I tend to be a "spirited" driver.

My wife has a 2006 A4 that is nearing 10,000 miles and she has had zero problems.

I also had a 1998 A4 for three years that had only a couple of small problems during that time as well.

I also have a new 4.2 C6 on order since the lease on my 2003 2.7 is expiring.

Not sure where these reliability comments are coming from (possibly the same place as the unintended acceleration accusations many years ago).

And keep the source in mind. Take a look at what Consumer Reports touts as the best vehicles and let me know if you would be caught dead driving any of them. They tend to address the Wal Mart crowd as their main audience.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Flawless
Old 03-23-2006, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Re: Reliability??

not a single problem

Quick Reply: Reliability??