A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
View Poll Results: Should I have this resprayed (again)?
YES for sure.
96.77%
Eh, Maybe. But Maybe not. Don't sweat the small stuff.
3.23%
No, why?
0%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Repainted front bumper, now look - would this bother you guys?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update: Repainting bumper / It was the color code "variant"

So check this out -- went to the shop this AM. They had these paint matching cards for VAG group (VW, Audi etc) paint codes... Oyster Grey Metallic had two cards. There are 2 main variants of Oyster Grey Metallic on Audis (LZ7Q paint code) from the paint manufacturer. Both have same color code. I was shocked to see how absolutely different the 2 variations are. One is darker, more grey. The other is lighter, more purpley/blue. We held the cards up the to front fender and to the freshly painted bumper.

The car is a perfect match for the darker more grey variation.

They had painted my bumper the lighter more purpley/blue one -- it was a dead on perfect match in direct morning sunlight. So they did do a great job,just the wrong variant.

To fix we're going to remove, scuff and respray/reclear the front bumper with the darker variation and it should be close if not perfect.

They used Sikkens paint which I understand is pretty HQ oem german paint (not cheap materials in other words).

Bottom line, I am completely shocked at just how different the variations of the SAME COLOR CODE look. Be warned Oyster Grey Metallic owners !

Will post pics - probably be another week to have them do it.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

It's good that you found out the cause. You previous post about spraying onto the hood and the fenders would have been a very bad option.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 174 Likes on 153 Posts

Nice to know about that variant. I have seen the Oyster Gray in person as being the purple/gray coler, but not the darker gray, which I may have wanted had I known about it.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Glad to hear we were able to peer-pressure you into talking to the shop... good to know there will be a happy ending to this all!

Do you re-install the bumper cover or did they? I'm surprised that they wouldn't have noticed the color difference if they put the bumper back on for your after they had painted it...
Old 05-01-2010, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

2nd

Originally Posted by jetshine
Glad to hear we were able to peer-pressure you into talking to the shop... good to know there will be a happy ending to this all!

Do you re-install the bumper cover or did they? I'm surprised that they wouldn't have noticed the color difference if they put the bumper back on for your after they had painted it...
Old 05-01-2010, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With all the different shades of Grey, it's understandable how they made the mistake, I actually didn't know your car is considered in the "Grey" family..but then it's an Audi
Old 05-01-2010, 02:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mystrodo
With all the different shades of Grey, it's understandable how they made the mistake, I actually didn't know your car is considered in the "Grey" family..but then it's an Audi
Tell me about it!

After deciding for the A6, we had the following options:

1. Black (NO WAY for ME);
2. White;
3. Garnet Red;
4-9999. All grays in between black and white.

Good thing to find the reason for the mismatch. Hope it all ends up well.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default update: dropped off bumper at shop this AM

We had some crazy floods here in Nashville this weekend, all OK here, but just down our street, total losses. Insanity. So my bumper color thing seemed minor. That said, I took the bumper back to the bodyshop (I am doing the removal/install myself, I know what's up and its very easy to do surprisingly). Driving the A6 today sans bumper since my wife has our Land Rover (water everywhere).

Some teaser pics. It looks mean without the bumper. Ridiculous too. But whatever. I'm avoiding highways so that I dont get rock damage to my AC condenser/radiator.

Kind of neat to see what's behind the bumper. You'll see that the aluminum bar / bumper supports are "pre bent" -- that's how they come, not accident damage.
Attached Images     
Old 05-04-2010, 11:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

LOL, that´s like walking around with no underwear!

Hope it gets better over there. Read about the floods on a football website
Old 05-04-2010, 01:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

That's one of the hardest colors to match. You should see the variations they have of silver, I think it's over 12 shades of the same color code. Nevertheless, sounds like a good shop to respray the bumper to make you happy, even though you agreed to not color match.

Quick Reply: Repainted front bumper, now look - would this bother you guys?