A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Replace the tire or don't worry about it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace the tire or don't worry about it?

Hit a curb and sliced off a chunk from the sidewall, it's a very very small chunk but you be the judge. Should I replace this tire or is it good for at least another season where I'll have to get all new tires anyway?

http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/alldemtingz/?action=view¤t=a569c7ea.jpg&evt=user_media_share
Old 04-09-2012, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That is the weakest location of tire.
Get it replaced. Do you have a road hazard warranty on your tire?
Old 04-09-2012, 01:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

+1 I would replace that tire. Its actually quite a big chunk since you can actually start to see the belts of the tire. If it wasn't for that I'd probably leave it alone.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

No road hazard warranty unfortunately
However can I replace just the tire this being a quattro or is this curbing going to cost me a set of four tires. I ask because I would say I still have approx 50% tread left
Old 04-09-2012, 01:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Since it is quattro, idealy you want all 4 tires to be even tred so you do not ruin your diffs, and so you can make the best of the awd. There is another option you can do. If you can find the same tire for a good price, I believe its discount tire that does this, they can actually shave down the new tire to the same tred as the other tires to match.

So that would be cheaper than buying 4 new tires...but at the same time it sucks to have to shave down a brand new tire to about 5\32 which is same as 50% tire tred life left.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AsianiceStyle
Since it is quattro, idealy you want all 4 tires to be even tred so you do not ruin your diffs, and so you can make the best of the awd. There is another option you can do. If you can find the same tire for a good price, I believe its discount tire that does this, they can actually shave down the new tire to the same tred as the other tires to match.

So that would be cheaper than buying 4 new tires...but at the same time it sucks to have to shave down a brand new tire to about 5\32 which is same as 50% tire tred life left.
Thanks for the quick replies! I'll definitely inquire about this, much better than spending on four tires
Old 04-09-2012, 01:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

If I had that issue of having 50% tread left. I would either use my full size spare as the replacement for now or buy 2 used for the time being, untill you are ready to buy a new set of four.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i want to throw up when i hear about shaving down tires.. WTF.. really?

u think our diffs cant handle a few millimeters of difference? please.. and dont even try to sway me im pretty convinced about this... the tire shops just want to sell tires.. YES performance is ideal with 4 new tires ...when is it not? but come on ...there is always practicality.... wouldn't it be nice if every one bought 4 tires each time we walked into their shops... <shaking head>

to be clear.. i believe this tire is damaged pretty bad and attention is required and would not ride this daily

1. if u have a full size spare with similar tread to the other 3 then ride the spare and place this in the bay and use it for emergency

*the way i see it if u have an emergency and need to bring this out again then u will most likely only be using it for a short distance ... IDK its just my .02 ... maybe im a bit of a gambler ... my thinking is that the tire would hold up for those miles... But this means checking tire pressure daily of the spare and NOT delaying getting those 4 new ones

2. if your full size spare is full tread then buy 1 NEW tire and run the new ones up front and throw this damaged one away and place the worst tire as the spare

3. If u dont have a full size spare then replace this damaged one with a used tire until u get those 4 new tires

GL

Last edited by MainlandMig; 04-12-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had a similar situation with a nail in the sidewall. After some significant searching, I bought a used tire on the internet for $100 or so that matched the wear on my other tires within the Audi spec...I had no problems through end of tire life!