A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Review of deAuto LED complete interior LED kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 01:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by raj99
Hi folks, so I wanted to provide all of you an update and get your feedback on which footwell lighting to go with:

White, Red, or Blue?

I decided to change the existing LED lighting in the footwells and the process is identical to removing the module from the puddle lights. Simply insert a flat head on one end and pry and the entire module will come out, then you push into the connector to release it.

Once the light is out it will look like this:

The difference between the deAuto LED and the factory one is enormous...as you can see by the picture below...more SMDs and hence more lumens for illumination.
FWIW, the factory one is the Green module on the left.

The trick for removing the housing of the footwell module is by pushing on the black area I've shown in the arrows and then pulling up. Also, you can pry the opposite site up as well, but imho it put excessive force on the other side.

Inserting the new LED is rather straight-forward, however you may need to push the prongs up a bit with a flat head, once you snap shut the module.

Once you have the new LED in the module, you simply reattach the wiring harness and push it back in. Now perhaps you all can help me decide as to which looks the best.

Although I initially liked the white, I'm actually digging the blue as well

Red

Blue

White
As you can see, the difference between the factory and the deAuto LEDs is quite obvious.

Furthermore, the deAuto LEDs come on and off very nicely and just like factory have a soft transition.

And here's the final all-white setup, for now. I'm going to try it for a couple of days and then switch it. So lmk what you all think...

Hey raj99
The white or red looks the best due to the lighting scheme of our interior. The blue looks way out of place.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 206 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackR1ce
Hey raj99
The white or red looks the best due to the lighting scheme of our interior. The blue looks way out of place.
Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for the feedback. Next week I'm going to try all red and will post pics and give feedback.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by raj99
I did change the puddle lights and read through my review. The issue on the rear door puddle lights is that the connector wiring is too short. In fact, I'm going to be pulling my interior door so that I can get access at the wiring directly to do the change. It's very hard to pull the existing bulb and replace it with the one in the kit...since you really want to do what I did with the front puddle lights, which is remove the entire module vs. just the bulb. It's FAR easier to work that way. However, in the rear puddle lights, if you remove the module you can't plug it back into the wiring because Audi engineers save 1 cent by saving 2" off wiring and not making it accessible
I manage to put the last light in by having the door panel removed and then the light was connected. You have to close the door and open it for it to work i believe the actuator in the door lock needs to be activate the light again. The rest of the puddle lights i changed whilst they were connected. I used a flat head to pop the bulb out and put the new led in. I like the blue in you foot wells that looks really nice! Now if there is anyone with any knowledge on a brighter reverse light bulb that would be awesome!

Last edited by saifxnyc; 01-29-2016 at 02:07 AM.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:55 PM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for all the info in this post - here are some quick links!

Interior LED kit:
Complete Interior LED Kit [Crisp White / Error Free] fits: Audi C5 A6/S6 ? deAutoKey

Reverse:
194 10pc CREE LED Reverse LED Fits:Audi A3/S3/RS3 + Many More ? deAutoKey

License Plate:
LED License Plate Housings Crisp White-Error Free-Plug and play Fits: Many Audi Models ? deAutoKey

Raj is testing the DRLs and a few other items to be 100% sure!

Thank you and let us know if you have any questions
Old 02-04-2016, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK so I finally was able to finish putting all the puddle leds in thanks to deAuto. I had one that didn't work and deAuto sent out a replacement really quick. Thank you. So as you all already know that the back door puddle lights have really short wiring so if you pull to hard on the lighting house it will disconnect and you won't be able to re connect. So I made some adaptors about 2 to 3 inches long. The hardest part was making sure I could get the plug just right so I could hook up my adaptors.

Here are some pictures.

This is from my first take with the adaptor I made.

Here's the adaptors I made from an old power supply wires and some female connectors with hear shrink.

Here I had to slightly gap it a little so they could slide on the male part on the lighting house.

The adaptors plugged in to the main plug.

Last edited by BlackR1ce; 02-04-2016 at 03:35 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 206 Likes on 175 Posts

Blackrice, GREAT write-up! Any chance you can post a parts list? The wire is standard, but how about the gator clips, etc...? I'm gonna do this vs. pulling out the door panel and it cracks me up that to save 2" of wire we have to resort to this to change the bulb Glad to have resourceful folks like you do and share useful info for all of us to leverage! Cheers
Old 04-14-2016, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having some problems with the footwell lights. The prongs are shorter than the oem lights and I can't get a good connection. Light flickers as I try to put the housing back in. Any suggestions? Thanks, Mike 2013 Q5
Old 04-14-2016, 03:15 PM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Macmedic89
Having some problems with the footwell lights. The prongs are shorter than the oem lights and I can't get a good connection. Light flickers as I try to put the housing back in. Any suggestions? Thanks, Mike 2013 Q5
Hi, we feel that the prongs are not aligned and it could be missing the adapter to make a secure connection.

As seen from the DIY the length is correct - they are shorter vs OEM so they are easier to install.

Thank you
i: http://instagram.com/deAutoLED
Old 04-15-2016, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deAutoLED.com
Hi, we feel that the prongs are not aligned and it could be missing the adapter to make a secure connection.

As seen from the DIY the length is correct - they are shorter vs OEM so they are easier to install.

Thank you
I was able to install the LED's by bending the prongs and slipping them in at an angle then snapping on the black piece of the housing. Thanks for the tips!
Old 04-15-2016, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

great details on installation!!!. i ordered a set for my Q5. i like how they can be rotated by the dome lights to point to the users

Quick Reply: Review of deAuto LED complete interior LED kit