A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

RPM hesitation at constant throttle

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They said they cleaned both the TB and the intake snorkel. The tech thinks it now simply needs to be driven to "relearn" or "readapt," and that should hopefully take care of the problem. The notes on my bill state that it was open 3.6% at idle, and after cleaning it was 1.8% (or so, I don't have it in front of me at the moment).
I didn't get to talk to the tech directly since it was an after-hours drop-off and pick-up.
We'll see. It's definitely better, but not resolved yet. I'm not particularly optimistic, but I am still cautiously hopeful.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well, in case anyone may find this info useful in the future . . .

My car has definitely been driving better when it's warmed up, but on cold start there is still significant hesitation. It doesn't last particularly long, but it's still really annoying. I'm taking the car back to the dealer again next week. *sigh*
Old 06-15-2012, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 164 Likes on 118 Posts

When I had the problem with my transmission it was much better in warm weather. That was one of my problems getting it repaired. In the summer it barely exhibited the problem and by the time I got to the dealer it was very smooth. Once fall came the problem returned and I was finally able to bring it in and exhibit the problem to the service manager.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

If the transmission fluid has never been changed, I would echo my own experience and say that many of the supposed problems of torque converter failure are overstated, and that a changing of the fluid may be the solution.

For myself, my A6 had never had the fluid changed, and at 128k miles, started the 'surge' or 'hesitation', and over a few hundred miles, became a judder, and finally, was shifting badly.

In summary, I couldn't get the nearest Audi dealer to give me any history on the car, and whether or not it had ever had the fluid changed. My comfort level with that dealer was very low, and so I elected to change out the fluid myself, using Ross-Tech VCDS, and with Ford Mercon SP fluid. Changed out a little over 5 quarts, and it has been fantastic ever since.

The so-called 'Lifetime' fluid is NOT - unless you want to throw money at the Audi dealer to replace your transmission or trade for a new car.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well, the problem has finally been resolved. The dealer changed the transmission fluid, but the problem still wasn't solved. Then they swapped out the throttle body from another car and it fixed the problem. Therefore they ordered a new throttle body and replaced it. They had the car for a few days, but I picked it up yesterday and it's finally running normally again! (It should be considering my price tag of nearly $1,500 over more than one visit.)
Old 06-24-2012, 12:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 917 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckeyedoc006
Well, the problem has finally been resolved. The dealer changed the transmission fluid, but the problem still wasn't solved. Then they swapped out the throttle body from another car and it fixed the problem. Therefore they ordered a new throttle body and replaced it. They had the car for a few days, but I picked it up yesterday and it's finally running normally again! (It should be considering my price tag of nearly $1,500 over more than one visit.)
Out of curiosity how many miles are on your car? Did you regularly use Seafoam or BG44K?
Old 07-13-2012, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KevinGary
Out of curiosity how many miles are on your car? Did you regularly use Seafoam or BG44K?
Sorry for the delayed response. My car had 119+K miles when the throttle body was replaced. I had been having the issue for about 3 months though.

I've had the car since about 104k miles and ran seafoam through the vac lines once.