A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Runs so much better after plugs and air filter.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Runs so much better after plugs and air filter.

Finally got around to changing the plugs and air filter on my new (to me) 2005 A6. It has 67k miles and I think the plugs were original. The air filter was pretty beat too. while I was at it, I decided to go ahead and change the oil too and ut a mann filter and Amsoil in. The place I got the car from said they had changed the oil, but who the heck knows what they used.
It idled a little rough before the change, but now it is very smooth. I assume it's the new NGK plugs. I do have to say I am not impressed by the coil pack connectors. Seems like pretty cheap plastic all the way around on the connectors and the coil packs. Then again, I guess you don't have to take them off very often either.
I have owned a lot of cars and I have to say that taking the damn air filter on that car is a giant PITA. I am not impressed by whoever maintained the car. It looks like it was always serviced at the original purchasing Audi dealer. The connectors along the wheel wells are missing and the bolt at the bottom of the airbox is missing. Just seems like laziness and taking shortcuts.
Attached Images   
Old 04-26-2013, 09:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 202 Likes on 173 Posts

Good thing you did the required maintenance. This should be expected as the deal of buying a second hand vehicle with as many miles.

I never make assumptions on previous levels of maintenance, since there's no substitute for first hand work. While your at it did you change the pollen filter? Also have you lubed the required parts?
Old 04-27-2013, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I have the pollen filters, just didn't do it yet. Next up will be all the trans fluids and brake fluids. Overall, the car seems to be in excellent condition. Most recent dealer work was replacing the ignition coils as part of a recall. New front brakes and rotors were just done too.

I also have to figure out how to clean the snow screen on the air intake. I'm assuming it's the fine mesh filter behind the grill. Couldn't find an easy way to get to that, but it looks like the fine mesh can easily get clogged.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dzywicki
I have the pollen filters, just didn't do it yet. Next up will be all the trans fluids and brake fluids. Overall, the car seems to be in excellent condition. Most recent dealer work was replacing the ignition coils as part of a recall. New front brakes and rotors were just done too.

I also have to figure out how to clean the snow screen on the air intake. I'm assuming it's the fine mesh filter behind the grill. Couldn't find an easy way to get to that, but it looks like the fine mesh can easily get clogged.
If I remember correctly, you need to pop off the black plastic trim piece on top of the grill to get to the snow screen.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 202 Likes on 173 Posts

I cleaned the screen using a shop vac and compressed air. It was thoroughly clogged with debris