A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

S6 Ride Quality

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S6 Ride Quality

I'd appreciate feedback from owners of the new S6 about ride quality and transmission. Both R&T and C&D noted a harsh ride and a transmission with an up-shifting tendency, particularly when using the paddle shifters. Has anyone experienced that? I'd also appreciate any other pros and cons of the S6. I'm close to ordering a 2008 S6 for Euro Delivery this fall/winter. Thanks.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The harsh ride of the S6 is most likely due to the 19 inch tires used on the car as OE

With Michelin, Pirelli or Yokohama tires in the OE (original equipment) S6 19 inch size (265/35YR19; Pilot Sport PS2s for Michelin, Advan Sport for Yokohama and P Zero Extreme Performance Summer for Pirelli), the ride would probably be considerably smoother and quieter with a lot less noise/vibration/harshness.

And, most likely, with no decrease in the following: handling, grip, steering and braking in the dry, handling, traction, steering and braking in the rain.

Some summer ultra high performance Continental tire is the OE 19 inch tire (again, in the 265/35YR19 size) on the S6. Generally speaking, Continental tires are lousy tires anyway, based on what I have heard here on AudiWorld and on BMW Roadfly.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Don't ask me as I have nothing but good experience with my S6!

Ride is firm but not harsh - like a sport sedan should be. I have both 19 summer and winter wheels.

Transmission is as near perfect as can be but there may be variations with different builds.

Mine does not up-shift early and kicks down immediately when it is called for. The paddle shifters work immediately and hold the gear for several seconds. It will revert to normal 'D' when you don't use them after a while of steady state driving - as it should.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ride is definitely "firm". My S6 came with Conti Sport Contacts2 uhp tires.

At 6K miles so far I like the tire, though I certainly can't compare it to any other tire on the S6.

I've gotten used to the ride, but it is definitely stiffer than my C5 4.2 Sport was. That said, it's not uncomfortable on any but very bumpy, rutted roads and the suspension performs admirably in freeway driving and cornering at speed. My wife comments that she can feel every pebble but I don't feel that at all. She had an E46 BMW 330i coupe (sport) with 19s. She claims that I had a better ride, but I disagree.

I would have no problem with long distance freeway driving with the S6, but it is no Lexus in that department. The seats are the best I've ever had in a car. Perfect compromise between sport seats that "hug" you in turns and touring seats that cradle you comfortably over the long haul.

I think the transmission is fabulous. I find using the paddle shifters to be fun and shifts are quick and precise (though not quite to DSG levels). Most of the time however when I am "playing" I keep it in "S" mode and find that to be very responsive.

I'm envious of your possible Euro delivery! What a car for that program...I wish I could have done it that way. Good luck!
Old 07-16-2007, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Don't ask me as I have nothing but good experience with my S6!

Thanks. By the way, your S6 appears to be brilliant black; is that right? I'm trying to decide between that color and phantom black pearl effect for mine. If you were making that decision again, what would you go with?
Old 07-16-2007, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Apparently, the Continental ContiSportContact2 tires are the OE 19 inch tire....

(once again, in the 265/35YR19 tire size) on the S6. These Continental tires are summer UHP tires. AFAIK, these are the only OE 19 inch tire on the S6. Best of luck with whatever vehicle you purchase, swifter.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Black is the best 'non' colour ;-)

Dust is the only problem but, with tinted windows, it looks really sharp.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:35 PM

Default Found the ride to be

similiar to my '05 A6 4.2 S-line. Have no compliants.Even with the snow tires I ran on it this winter it handled and rode great. It drives like a sport sedan should and the seats are very comftable. The transmission does fine, and I find myself driving with the paddle shifters a lot. I went with phantom black and I love it. great car that does everything well. I highly recommend one. I have put 14,000 miles on mine since Sep '07.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Much nicer than the B6 S4 that I came from.....

But the ride can be harsh over bad pavement, as others have already noted. On the highway it's great. D and S trans selections are two totally different cars, engine note and shift points are quite different, but yes in both the trans is anxious to upshift unless you have it pinned. Much more Sport in the S than say a C5 A6 4.2. Very civilized but ready to go in D.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm surprised that the S6 has neither air nor the magnetic ride dampers

Seems unusual for such a high end car.

Quick Reply: S6 Ride Quality