A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

S6 steering feel

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 05:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S6 steering feel

I'm seriously thinking about the S6 to replace my '01 540i6/Sport. However, I don't have access to an S or RS car in my area to test drive. I drove a 4.2 S-line, and liked everything about it except for the soft ride and numb steering. I understand that the S6 will have a stiffer ride, which I think I would like, so my fears about an excessively harsh ride in the S6 have diminished. However, the steering still concerns me. Every Audi I have driven (never an S or RS version, though) has had really light and overboosted steering compared to the BMW's I have owned. I know that the S6 has a quicker steering ratio than the A6; I'm hoping that the power steering assist might be toned down a bit as well. I'm not expecting it to handle like a BMW, but if it is close then the other advantages (beautiful design inside and out, AWD) might make the deal for me. Any comments, especially from former BMW owners, would be most appreciated.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:01 AM

Default Re: S6 steering feel

Can't comment about the S6, but my A6 has very light steering at low speeds, but significantly firms up at road speeds
Old 02-06-2007, 06:28 AM

Default Door-**** farm vehicle steering twirlers...

I do a LOT of wheel twirling in my A6 3.2 Q :-(
Feels like 5 turns lock to lock (I think it's really 2.9)
Also very numb too as you say
I also feel like the straight-ahead tracking is weird, in that I always have to make tiny adjustments to the wheel for the car to track straight.
When coming out of a tight turn the wheel does not rotate back to centre on it's own like it should. Needs to be twirled back again. Very tedious.
I'm gonna fit one of those door-**** farm vehicle twirlers so I can zip around bends.
Wish I could hack the A6 brain and re-config the power assist.
Bottom line..I've never felt so disconnected from the road as I do on my A6
...I'm off to buy a Golf GTI.....
Old 02-06-2007, 07:02 AM
Cat Herder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

her A4 tracks straight better than mine, but not by much. Must be a quattro thing.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: S6 steering feel

I love my S6, but the steering feel just does not compare to BMW's. I've had BMW, Mercedes, and now an Audi. It does firm up at speeds, but at low speed the steering is light.

As for handling compared to a BMW, I'd read the Feb edition of Motor Trend. Around a track, only slightly slower than the M5. The S6 does handle well for a big car.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Try different tires. Some OEM tires end up being chosen for high mileage rather than

driving satisfaction.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Different tires don't help. I have tried the OEM touring Conti

ProContact M+S and the current high-performance Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S. Although traction, turn-in feel, and cornering speed are much improved, the light and numb steering feel remains. The steering design is to blame.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I meant for the wandering, not the feel. That appears to be due to the 4 link front end

and the power being fed to the front wheels.

Since my A3 has electric steering, I can just tap into it via VAG Com and adjust the level of boost;-)
Old 02-06-2007, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Who said the steering is numb? Rubbish!

The steering is extremely precise and sensitive. You just think about moving the wheel and the car goes where you want - immediately.

At parking speed the steering is light, as it should be.

I don't recall any review which found fault with the S6 V10 steering.

The ride on any low profile tire will be more harsh than on any cruising type of tire. You get what you ask for - a sport feel with a sport ride. You can't have both. That said, I don't find the ride uncomfortable and I'm not a young man.

It does not handle like a BMW - it is better!
Old 02-06-2007, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Who said the steering is numb? Rubbish!

Agree on the ride being sporty and the steering being good, but with that said, the steering feel is still not as good as a BMW IMO.

Quick Reply: S6 steering feel