A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

S6 steering feel

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I think steering feel and boost are 2 different things

I've driven plenty of cars that had heavier steering but much less feel of the road through the wheels than my A6. Several Mercedes models come to mind. I also remember the prior generation Lexus ES having slightly heavier steering, but that wasn't a plus, since it drove like a bucket of gravy.

BMW are nice cars, if you can stand the looks. The company also is very generous buying back clunkers.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question: What is the definition of steering feel?

I keep reading reviews from British motoring journalists on the subject of steering feel; however, I have yet to find a suitable definition. Many readings would tend to suggest that steering feel is related to the level of power assist to the steering, yet other readings would suggest that steering feel is related to determining the actions of the front tires.

Technically, any steering with power assistance would isolate the driver from any physical feedback from the tires, via the steering rack, to the steering wheel. I know that BMWs, Audis, and Porsches all require different levels of effort to turn the steering wheel at low speeds and at high speeds, but is this a "true" measure of steering feel? Ultimately, I think that the ability to precisely guide the car, along an intended path, is more important than the steering weighting.

Without a generally accepted definition of steering feel any discussion is moot.

-J
Old 02-06-2007, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A driver should be able to tell how well the front tires are

sticking and rolling as well as how well the front suspension is holding up on varies road surfaces, just by detecting the feedback movements or vibrations transmitted from the tires and suspension back to the steering wheel.

Ultimately the driver should be able to tell when the front cornering limit has reached or is already lost front traction simply by feeling the minute vibrations or sudden movements in the steering wheel. In the extreme case, the driver should also be able to tell the size of the pebble the front tires just went over from the steering wheel.

Nowadays, cars are designed for comfort (with maximum isolation from suspension and steering to minimum noise and vibration intrusion) and with overly-boosted steering assist which tends to rob all that feedback away. Ordinary drivers get scared if their steering wheels kick and move on their own.

So true steering feel mostly only remains in some hardcore sport cars.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default change the tires

I have S6 and just put Dunlap Winter 3d tires on, what a difference in feel and ride. I cannot wait for the summer to pu on Good Year GSD's.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Agreed. Cars have gotten too "sophisticated" and most people don't want too much feedback.

Besides, it can be tiring if you have too much feedback on long drives.

When making a road trip to LA (distance 400 miles), I'd much rather take an A6 than Ferrari 2 seater:-)
Old 02-06-2007, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: S6 steering feel

seriously....steering feel....its a big joke (no offence) when some one mentions that to me, why would I want to know how hard the tires are being pushed through the wheel, im sure your brain can sense/ feel that. Enough about this whole steering feel crap, we arent race car drivers, audi steering is nicely calibrated to very light at low speeds and a good meaty resistance higher up, thats just perfect. Now go buy an S6 for its beauty and power...not steering feel...
Old 02-06-2007, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default +1 on that! I am certainly no race driver but...

I think the S6 gives me plenty of steering "feel". I always feel glued to the road at any speed and it goes where I point it.

To be fair, I get that it gives more feedback than, say, a Caddy STS or even a LS460. Maybe even not as much as an M5. But....it gives plenty of feedback for me. I will never push this car anywhere near its limit...and maybe that is the difference. I just love it for what it is for me. One great automobile...the best I've ever owned.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:08 AM
caf
AudiWorld Member

Default Pros and cons

No vehicle driven through 4 wheels will have the feedback through the steering wheel that a rear wheel drive car has. My 996 Carrera 2 has excellent feedback through the wheel, but a C4, while still very good, is less tactile.

Does it matter? I think it does. Less feedback through the wheel also means less kickback over bumps and irregular road surfaces. It "feels" more stable. It makes for a less fatiguing driving experience.

My personal preference as a C6 Audi driver (I haven't driven an S6, by the way, but since this discussion has morphed into a general discussion on steering feel..) would be to have a little more feedback. I drove 6 hours last weekend through a mix of snow, ice, and sleet. With more feedback through the wheel, a discerning driver can pick up on subtle changes in road conditions and grip. It's easier to tell when the road surface goes from wet to icy and back again.

It's just one of those tradeoff issues.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:38 AM

Default Great Sig Pic

That would make a terrific poster!

-J
Old 02-07-2007, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Sometimes be able to tell if you're steering on a black-ice

or loose gravel patch would avoid an expensive trip to the bodyshop. You don't need to be a race driver to need that. Remember the commercial slogan "It's a jungle out there".

Quick Reply: S6 steering feel