A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

S6 V10 reliability and driveability

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2023, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Oneplank
Honestly don't know if they fixed it on the OE injectors, or any others for that matter.

I do know that the part number was revised when I bought my set of 10 Hitachi injectors. That is one thing that is predictable with Audi; the number of the part stays the same, but the they just change the alphabetic suffix one or a couple letters down on the alphabet. Not sure what they changed. It was hard to swallow the $1800 parts cost. Had I had known that it was the baskets disintegrating, I may have considered rebuilding them, but without a method to test them, you risk a lot of labor removing and installing the manifold. Of course every time you remove and install the intake, you can do it faster.
For those that are following along, there is a way to do basic testing, AUtool makes this
Amazon Amazon
Not a full on type tester, but it does do enough that you can see if the injector is dripping or has a fine mist.
Old 12-12-2023, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 139 Likes on 121 Posts

The Pierburg intake should be considered a consumable wear item starting around 60,000 miles as the swirl flaps will eventually begin to disintegrate. Plastic flap parts start to rain down into the intake valves. Other than disturbing airflow, the dislodged bigger parts generally don’t cause a problem. Smaller parts are a different story as they can hang a valve leading to mechanical engine damage.

There are debates over removing the flaps or permanently sealing them in place but neither is ideal. A big part of the V10 magic is a working set of swirl flaps.

When you do plan an intake pull then I would highly recommend JHM Intake Spacers to lower IAT’s. Hot climates should consider to bypass the coolant based intake heater. The spacers make the hot engine intake literally cool to the touch which should also help the intake parts last longer. The intake starts to get warm only after hot engine shutdown due to engine bay heat bloom.

Old 04-27-2024, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So Ive had the majority of the issues that are considered normal in my two years of ownership. AC condensor and compressor, radiator, control arms, boot latch, intake manifold, HPFPs,
and normal wear and tear items such as pads, discs, tires and shocks....

But something I'm a little concerend about is that the car has gone through two PCV valves in about 3 years....once before my ownership in 21, and once in December 23....
Is there a reason that may cause that?