A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

S6 vs E550 4MATIC

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 07:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, this is a good option as well. I was browsing BMW's bu none really had the power I was looking for. The Dinan Stage 2 takes it to 384hp and 415 tourque so it would then be in the ballpark I would like to see.

Now I have 3 options...how to choose???
Old 06-25-2010, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Test drive...
Old 06-25-2010, 06:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Easier said then done...not exactly loads of any of these vehicles around atlantic Canada. I highly doubt the local Audi dealer would have a new S6 let alone any used ones laying around.

I appreciate the feedback...I think I have to choose between the E550, S6, 535xi and Subaru STi (still a subaru lover deep down). I guess I have to decide on what i want...luxury, comfort, speed, handling, price, etc.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It seems like you are very far away from knowing what you want if you are throwing Subaru in the mix. Good luck.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a slightly similar perspective while considering how to replace my 2005 S4. I find one of the most important differences between MB and Audi is the ride-firmness.

You didn't say where in Canada you live, but in some parts the roads are quite harsh from the winter cracking. If that's a factor, I'd recommend you seriously consider the E550 over the S6. I'd also be wary of the S6 if that year doesn't have adjustable suspension. If the roads are smooth and it has adjustable suspension, I'd probably lean a little more towards the S6 in the model years you're looking at.

Here is a bit more background....

----------------------

Back when I bought my S4, I lived in the suburbs (of San Francisco) and spent most of my time on the highway. The firm ride was fun and zippy. However, I've lived in the city for the past few years where the roads are horrible. They are pockmarked and constantly being torn up. I'm tired of the harsh ride of my old S4. In fact, it's the biggest reason I'm replacing it with only 45k miles on it. It's not just the bumps, but the constant cabin shake forward and back and side to side. I feel like I'm in a gokart. I'm embarassed that my friend's Carrera 4 (which has adjustable suspension) rides much more smoothly on the city bumps than my 4-door sedan.

Because of my desire to end the harshness, one of the top contenders for me is the 2010 E550 (W212). While allowing some road feel to the steering wheel, it glides over the city bumps without a hint the cabin tossing abundant in my 2005 S4.

I drove the 2010 A6, and compared to the E550, and found it very bland. Interior is fine, but I find the exterior too plain. The S6 styling (from pictures) doesn't seem much different. Ride is midrange, not sporty like the A4/S4 and not butter-smooth like the 2010 E550. (There are no S6 cars around to see or drive)

In comparison, I really like the 2010 S4. It has some sharp styling in front and back, and because of the way it's upsized, the interior room is pretty close to the E550. In fact, the 2010 S4 is 5" shorter than the E550, while the A6 is 3" longer, so who is to say which is 'comperable size'. Plus, they finally added adjustable suspension, so while the ride is nothing like the Merc, it's not the toss-around box my old 2005 S4 is. The throttle response in the S4 is also much more immediate.

The C350 has a nice ride but feels cramped (I'm 6'2") and underpowered compared to the S4/E550.

Then comes the AWD. Quattro is standard, so I can toss into any dealer and pick up an S4 quattro, wheras in my region (sunny california) I have to special order an E550 4matic to get it in the color I want. The C63AMG isn't available with 4matic.

In summary, I like the E550 4matic better than the A6, and the A4/S4 better than the C350 4matic. So the decision for me feels like either the sportier, slightly smaller, slightly harsher 2010 S4, or the cushier, slightly larger, 2010 E550 4matic.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Good point. S6 rides rough and harsh. If the roads aren't very good, the car could be a pain to drive. One thing that I had an issue was with suspension on the S6 coming from the E55. Air suspension would have been great on the S6 not sure why they stuck to such stiff, nonadjustable setup. But the S6 handles great on turns...
Old 06-27-2010, 05:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

THANKS very much for your feedback on this. It seems like you and I share the same perspective. My roads are horrible as well and as much as I want a sporty, well handling vehicle, I have been dealing with a rough ride (lowered Legacy GT) and that is one reason I am trading. I like spirited driving from time to time but it is rare. I will never race the vehicle in any manner and maybe take the occasional spirited on/off ramp but that is it.

I think the most important things are comfortable ride and good looks, in that order. And of course AWD. I likely will only mod the exterior (wheels, lip kit, etc.) so looks are important. I too am 6'2" so I need something I will be comfy in. The price is optional...I need to stay below low $40K's. I will likely have it paid for within less then 2 years then I may look at getting something like an SLK32 AMG after that for my spirited driving time.

Again, thanks for the info...I think you may have sold me on not getting the S6 as I do not want a rough ride. Neither car is especially good looking but both look good in their own way. I think 382hp should keep me happy for now.

Originally Posted by davesf
I have a slightly similar perspective while considering how to replace my 2005 S4. I find one of the most important differences between MB and Audi is the ride-firmness.

You didn't say where in Canada you live, but in some parts the roads are quite harsh from the winter cracking. If that's a factor, I'd recommend you seriously consider the E550 over the S6. I'd also be wary of the S6 if that year doesn't have adjustable suspension. If the roads are smooth and it has adjustable suspension, I'd probably lean a little more towards the S6 in the model years you're looking at.

Here is a bit more background....

----------------------

Back when I bought my S4, I lived in the suburbs (of San Francisco) and spent most of my time on the highway. The firm ride was fun and zippy. However, I've lived in the city for the past few years where the roads are horrible. They are pockmarked and constantly being torn up. I'm tired of the harsh ride of my old S4. In fact, it's the biggest reason I'm replacing it with only 45k miles on it. It's not just the bumps, but the constant cabin shake forward and back and side to side. I feel like I'm in a gokart. I'm embarassed that my friend's Carrera 4 (which has adjustable suspension) rides much more smoothly on the city bumps than my 4-door sedan.

Because of my desire to end the harshness, one of the top contenders for me is the 2010 E550 (W212). While allowing some road feel to the steering wheel, it glides over the city bumps without a hint the cabin tossing abundant in my 2005 S4.

I drove the 2010 A6, and compared to the E550, and found it very bland. Interior is fine, but I find the exterior too plain. The S6 styling (from pictures) doesn't seem much different. Ride is midrange, not sporty like the A4/S4 and not butter-smooth like the 2010 E550. (There are no S6 cars around to see or drive)

In comparison, I really like the 2010 S4. It has some sharp styling in front and back, and because of the way it's upsized, the interior room is pretty close to the E550. In fact, the 2010 S4 is 5" shorter than the E550, while the A6 is 3" longer, so who is to say which is 'comperable size'. Plus, they finally added adjustable suspension, so while the ride is nothing like the Merc, it's not the toss-around box my old 2005 S4 is. The throttle response in the S4 is also much more immediate.

The C350 has a nice ride but feels cramped (I'm 6'2") and underpowered compared to the S4/E550.

Then comes the AWD. Quattro is standard, so I can toss into any dealer and pick up an S4 quattro, wheras in my region (sunny california) I have to special order an E550 4matic to get it in the color I want. The C63AMG isn't available with 4matic.

In summary, I like the E550 4matic better than the A6, and the A4/S4 better than the C350 4matic. So the decision for me feels like either the sportier, slightly smaller, slightly harsher 2010 S4, or the cushier, slightly larger, 2010 E550 4matic.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by blinky44
THANKS very much for your feedback on this. It seems like you and I share the same perspective. My roads are horrible as well and as much as I want a sporty, well handling vehicle, I have been dealing with a rough ride (lowered Legacy GT) and that is one reason I am trading.
Glad that was helpful. In the model years you are looking, I think you'll be much happy with a Mercedes.. or even a 4.2L V8 'regular' A6 (which has much lighter suspension than the S6).

As of 2009 Audi really eased up the suspension on the S4. I don't know about the S6. However, it's still too rough for bumpy city streets IMO. Now that I live with harsh roads, I think MB pegs my market perfectly by selling cars with nearly a full-on AMG-looking sport package without any of the harshness of the sport suspension. I blame those car review driving tests, like the Slalom speeds and skidpad ratings. MB seems to be the one most willing to lose them to let the car be relaxed enough on city streets.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

hi there from the D3 forum.
not to add confusion, but consider the Audi A8.
i considered both the models in question (w211 e550 and the S6)
this last year and decided to get back into a D3, having owned one a few yrs ago.
i did also own an 05 e500 4m briefly (no likee) but was willing
to look at 07+ E550 after updates of the model.
also recently a 3.2 A4 s-line, but a little small and rough riding for my tastes.
the D3 seems to have the best mix of features and performance for the price.
air susp, sport and 4-seat heat were dealmakers for me.
an 07 in good shape can def be had for low 40s.
good luck in any event and have fun shopping.

Last edited by jago1; 06-28-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I agree the A8 is likely very comfy and luxurious but I don't think I want to go quite that big. The A8 and S class are beautiful just a little big for my liking.

Quick Reply: S6 vs E550 4MATIC