A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Seat belt clip gone into housing, cant use, possible need to remove rear seat, how??

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat belt clip gone into housing, cant use, possible need to remove rear seat, how??

hi,
The male/metal part of my seat belt has somehow got behind the housing so i cannot strap my child seat into the car. I need to get under the housing (marked 'a' in picture) Panel b can only be taken off if I remove the vertical part of the rear seat, Question: how do I get access to under the housing (a) Do i need to remove seat, if so how do i remove seat, do the receptors for the headrests hold that part fo rear seat in place??

thanks
Tom

Make: Audi
Model: A6
Year: 2005
Old 05-09-2012, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This has happened to me twice now. I used a metal coat hanger, with a little hook bent on the end, and was able to grab the buckle. This may work for you.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

yeah I,ve tried that with little success :-(

i might have to revert to another attempt
what a complete pain in the %^%&
Old 05-09-2012, 11:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

happened to me once since son likes to play with the belt. I used a telescoping pen magnet like this to grab the clip and pull it out.

http://www.amazon.com/Carica-Telesco.../dp/B0002JMI9A
Old 05-10-2012, 02:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by audifoo123
happened to me once since son likes to play with the belt. I used a telescoping pen magnet like this to grab the clip and pull it out.

http://www.amazon.com/Carica-Telesco.../dp/B0002JMI9A
I dont know how that woudl work as it would have to bend at 60degrees and the clip has only a small exposed piece of metal, there is a should of plastic over most of it.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

a little off topic - do you have a child seat or a booster? why wouldn't you use the latch system if you have a regular child seat.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tom182
hi,
The male/metal part of my seat belt has somehow got behind the housing so i cannot strap my child seat into the car. I need to get under the housing (marked 'a' in picture) Panel b can only be taken off if I remove the vertical part of the rear seat, Question: how do I get access to under the housing (a) Do i need to remove seat, if so how do i remove seat, do the receptors for the headrests hold that part fo rear seat in place??

thanks
Tom

Make: Audi
Model: A6
Year: 2005
Removing and installing side padding for rear seat

<TABLE class="cc abstand-standard erlaeutrg-explo"><TBODY><TR><TD class=einzug-nummer>1 - </TD><TD>Side padding</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class="cc abstand-standard einzug-explo "><TBODY><TR><TD class=einzug-liste>t </TD><TD>Removing</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class="cc einzug-explo abstand-explo "><TBODY><TR><TD class=einzug-liste>– </TD><TD>Remove rear seat bench</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class="cc einzug-explo abstand-explo "><TBODY><TR><TD class=einzug-liste>– </TD><TD>Unscrew bolt -6-.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class="cc einzug-explo abstand-explo "><TBODY><TR><TD class=einzug-liste>– </TD><TD>On vehicles with side airbag -8- unplug electrical connector -7-</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class="cc einzug-explo abstand-explo "><TBODY><TR><TD class=einzug-liste>– </TD><TD>Unfasten nut -4-.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class="cc einzug-explo abstand-explo "><TBODY><TR><TD class=einzug-liste>– </TD><TD>Unscrew and remove striker pin -5- together with washer -3- and dished washer -2-.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class="cc abstand-standard einzug-explo "><TBODY><TR><TD class=einzug-liste>t </TD><TD>Installing</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class="cc einzug-explo abstand-explo "><TBODY><TR><TD>Install in reverse order of removal. Note the following:</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class="cc einzug-explo abstand-explo "><TBODY><TR><TD class=einzug-liste>– </TD><TD>Adjust striker pin -5- and tighten nut -4-.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class="cc abstand-standard erlaeutrg-explo"><TBODY><TR><TD class=einzug-nummer>2 - </TD><TD>Dished washer</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class="cc abstand-standard erlaeutrg-explo"><TBODY><TR><TD class=einzug-nummer>3 - </TD><TD>Washer</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class="cc abstand-standard erlaeutrg-explo"><TBODY><TR><TD class=einzug-nummer>4 - </TD><TD>Nut</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class="cc einzug-explo abstand-explo "><TBODY><TR><TD class=einzug-liste>q </TD><TD>Tightening torque: 55 Nm </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class="cc abstand-standard erlaeutrg-explo"><TBODY><TR><TD class=einzug-nummer>5 - </TD><TD>Striker pin</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class="cc abstand-standard erlaeutrg-explo"><TBODY><TR><TD class=einzug-nummer>6 - </TD><TD>Bolt</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class="cc einzug-explo abstand-explo "><TBODY><TR><TD class=einzug-liste>q </TD><TD>Tightening torque: 8 Nm</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class="cc abstand-standard erlaeutrg-explo"><TBODY><TR><TD class=einzug-nummer>7 - </TD><TD>Connector for side airbag</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class="cc abstand-standard erlaeutrg-explo"><TBODY><TR><TD class=einzug-nummer>8 - </TD><TD>Side airbag</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Name:  Sidepadding1.png
Views: 4869
Size:  12.9 KB

<TABLE class="cc bild-titel einzug-standard abstand-standard"><TBODY><TR><TD>Disconnecting connector for side airbag</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="cc einzug-standard abstand-standard "><TBODY><TR><TD class=einzug-liste>– </TD><TD>Press retaining tab -2- of connector for side airbag -1- and unplug connector from mating piece -3-.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Name:  Sidepadding2.png
Views: 3510
Size:  13.2 KB

Removing and installing seat bench

Name:  rearseat1.png
Views: 4938
Size:  13.7 KB

<TABLE class="cc einzug-standard abstand-standard absatz-hervor"><TBODY><TR><TD>Removing</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="cc einzug-standard abstand-standard "><TBODY><TR><TD class=einzug-liste>– </TD><TD>Pull front edge of seat bench out of retainers -1- (left and right).</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="cc einzug-standard abstand-standard "><TBODY><TR><TD class=einzug-liste>– </TD><TD>Disengage seat bench from retainers -4- (left and right) by pushing it firmly towards the rear.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="cc einzug-standard abstand-standard "><TBODY><TR><TD class=einzug-liste>– </TD><TD>On vehicles with seat heating raise the seat bench high enough to be able to unplug the electrical connectors.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="cc einzug-standard abstand-standard "><TBODY><TR><TD class=einzug-liste>– </TD><TD>Take electrical connector for side airbag out of groove</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="cc einzug-standard abstand-standard "><TBODY><TR><TD class=einzug-liste>– </TD><TD>Take seat bench out of vehicle.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="cc einzug-standard abstand-standard absatz-hervor"><TBODY><TR><TD>Installing</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="cc einzug-standard abstand-standard "><TBODY><TR><TD>Installation is carried out in the reverse order, note the following:</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Caution<TABLE class="cc einzug-standard abstand-liste-erster achtung-rumpf"><TBODY><TR><TD>The retainers must be renewed whenever you have removed the rear seat bench</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Side airbag connector
WARNING<TABLE class="cc einzug-standard abstand-liste-erster achtung-rumpf"><TBODY><TR><TD>On vehicles with side airbags please observe relevant safety regulations →
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=spalte-text><TABLE class="cc abstand-kap einzug-standard"><TBODY><TR><TD class=titel-kap>Additional safety regulations for side airbags</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="cc abstand-standard einzug-standard "><TBODY><TR><TD class=einzug-liste>t </TD><TD>We recommend using genuine seat covers (same as original equipment).</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="cc abstand-liste einzug-standard "><TBODY><TR><TD class=einzug-liste>t </TD><TD>It is NOT permissible to use seat covers or protective covers which have not been approved for use on Audi seats with side airbags.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="cc abstand-liste einzug-standard "><TBODY><TR><TD class=einzug-liste>t </TD><TD>Foam padding in backrest must not be cut in vicinity of side airbag.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="cc abstand-liste einzug-standard "><TBODY><TR><TD class=einzug-liste>t </TD><TD>When installing, make sure seam for side airbag is straight.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="cc abstand-liste einzug-standard "><TBODY><TR><TD class=einzug-liste>t </TD><TD>All upholstery clips (metal and plastic clips) must be renewed.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="cc abstand-liste einzug-standard "><TBODY><TR><TD class=einzug-liste>t </TD><TD>We recommend using only genuine upholstery clips (same as original equipment).</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="cc abstand-liste einzug-standard "><TBODY><TR><TD class=einzug-liste>t </TD><TD>When installing, all new upholstery clips must be fitted in the same positions as the original ones.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="cc abstand-liste einzug-standard "><TBODY><TR><TD class=einzug-liste>t </TD><TD>For safety reasons, the cover should always be renewed if it is damaged (tears, burn marks, etc.) in the area of the side airbag, as otherwise the side airbag will not inflate properly.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="cc abstand-liste einzug-standard "><TBODY><TR><TD class=einzug-liste>t </TD><TD>Repairs to backrest cover in vicinity of side airbag are not permitted (due to special thread and precisely defined seam).</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="cc abstand-liste einzug-standard "><TBODY><TR><TD class=einzug-liste>t </TD><TD>Always renew backrest padding after side airbag has been triggered.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="cc abstand-liste einzug-standard "><TBODY><TR><TD class=einzug-liste>t </TD><TD>All damaged components must be renewed after an accident. If you cannot detect any to the airbag unit, it can continue to be used.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="cc abstand-liste einzug-standard "><TBODY><TR><TD class=einzug-liste>t </TD><TD>If side airbag units are renewed, remove sticker with airbag number from new side airbag unit and stick it over old sticker on seat pan.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="cc abstand-liste einzug-standard "><TBODY><TR><TD class=einzug-liste>t </TD><TD>Never pierce upholstery needles or any other sharp objects through the seat cover fabric in the vicinity of the airbag and sensor mat.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=spalte-pfeil></TD><TD class=spalte-marg></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Name:  rearseat2.png
Views: 3551
Size:  5.3 KB

<TABLE class="cc bild-titel einzug-standard abstand-standard"><TBODY><TR><TD>Renewing retainers</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="cc einzug-standard abstand-standard "><TBODY><TR><TD class=einzug-liste>– </TD><TD>Remove used retainer from body cut-out.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="cc einzug-standard abstand-standard "><TBODY><TR><TD class=einzug-liste>– </TD><TD>Fit new retainer -2- in opening -1- in body and push it in until you hear it engage.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Name:  rearseat3.png
Views: 5195
Size:  6.9 KB

Last edited by royclark; 05-10-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Don't need to remove the trim!

Don't need to do all that extra work!

Use a telescoping magnet as audifoo123 said to catch the belt buckle while pulling out belt. Pull the belt quickly and let magnet catch the buckle.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

also have something a bit off topic

for those with rear side airbag... without removing the seat to check... is there any physical indication of the feature... is there any logos.. embossing ... imprint or label?
Old 05-10-2012, 02:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

yes. there should be an 'airbag' logo/insignia for the rear seats. at least on my 07 S6 there is.

Quick Reply: Seat belt clip gone into housing, cant use, possible need to remove rear seat, how??