A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Selling my Audis for cheap and leaving the brand

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2024, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 149 Likes on 129 Posts

Salad - you are in the Fanboy club too, but you already knew that 👍

G-Canary is in the wheel barrow 🤪

Last edited by AudiAllTheWay; 03-03-2024 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-03-2024, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a cracking thread and very interesting I must say, I am not new to the VAG group as I am an owner of an 2011 Skoda VRS 2.0 petrol Mk2 and owned from new and yes I know the pain of owning the TFSI engine and yes I did have a chain tensioner failure at 76k after 5 years of owning but I must say although it was out of warranty I did continue to buy Skoda parts from main dealer and serviced myself and they covered the 6k repair bill without much pushing! I still own that Skoda with 145k on the clock along with an 2005 A3 8P BKD 2.0 TDI quattro 120k on the clock which I have owned for a few years now and I just love the drive. She is my work horse but I do look after her, I have just gave her a oil change this weekend and spotted some oil seeping on the turbo charge pipe - not overly concerned atm.

Anyways it's interesting reading this thread and the faults that the VAG group hasn't got to grips with yet and it's all true, keeping an Audi is not cheap and painful when things go wrong and too many times things do go wrong. On both car's I have recently changed the ABS module - both a painful location (back right) the misses owns an 2014 A1 1.4 which has been spot on for her so having VCDS in the house is a must and the best thing ever.

So recently I have been thinking do I go for a new car, well a used car like 2-3 years old e.g. Audi approved or do I consider another brand like Kelisko did and steer away from VAG which I have been loyal to for 13 years. I need 260+ BHP like the Skoda and in 4WD would be awesome, I did look at the Avant some weeks ago...... I also looked at Evo 10's a little while back but the servicing is crazy... Any way question is.... if you had 30k what would you buy??

Old 03-03-2024, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by trabolgan
if you had 30k what would you buy??
Not a broken 250,000KM CREC and nothing used without a PPI including a compression test and cylinder bore scope inspection 🤷‍♂️
Old 03-03-2024, 12:06 PM
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by trabolgan
This is a cracking thread and very interesting I must say, I am not new to the VAG group as I am an owner of an 2011 Skoda VRS 2.0 petrol Mk2 and owned from new and yes I know the pain of owning the TFSI engine and yes I did have a chain tensioner failure at 76k after 5 years of owning but I must say although it was out of warranty I did continue to buy Skoda parts from main dealer and serviced myself and they covered the 6k repair bill without much pushing! I still own that Skoda with 145k on the clock along with an 2005 A3 8P BKD 2.0 TDI quattro 120k on the clock which I have owned for a few years now and I just love the drive. She is my work horse but I do look after her, I have just gave her a oil change this weekend and spotted some oil seeping on the turbo charge pipe - not overly concerned atm.

Anyways it's interesting reading this thread and the faults that the VAG group hasn't got to grips with yet and it's all true, keeping an Audi is not cheap and painful when things go wrong and too many times things do go wrong. On both car's I have recently changed the ABS module - both a painful location (back right) the misses owns an 2014 A1 1.4 which has been spot on for her so having VCDS in the house is a must and the best thing ever.

So recently I have been thinking do I go for a new car, well a used car like 2-3 years old e.g. Audi approved or do I consider another brand like Kelisko did and steer away from VAG which I have been loyal to for 13 years. I need 260+ BHP like the Skoda and in 4WD would be awesome, I did look at the Avant some weeks ago...... I also looked at Evo 10's a little while back but the servicing is crazy... Any way question is.... if you had 30k what would you buy??
I can't imagine buying parts from a dealer for any brand vehicle, but then again I don't know what the online parts seller situation is in your country. Buying OEM/OE manufacturer parts online in the USA results in VAG parts costs being no different than any other vehicle unless you are talking about new OEM drivetrain assemblies.

It is interesting, I have never owned the smaller 4-cylinder Audi cars, but it does seem that those cars have had a lot of issues with nearly every variant of that 2.0 4-cylinder engine. Maybe my excellent experience is in part because I only buy the mid size and large VAG vehicles? However that wouldn't explain KelCan's experience since he also appears to have had those larger vehicles. I understand the appeal of the small 4-cylinder JP market cars for highway commuters and people looking for simple no-frills cars that have fewer systems to maintain, and I do believe that many of the JP market drivetrains are likely to still be very reliable but I just don't like how those cars drive. I've also been burned so badly on the corrosion issues on those vehicles, I live in the salt belt of the USA and that is another big reason I love these Audis. I have a C5 that has been bathing in salt for over 200k miles and 20 years (and I never wash the thing) and the body is still rust free. Some of the steel subframe is definitely showing corrosion but nothing like you'd see on a US or JP car.

As far as buying 2-3 years old, everything has been cost reduced so much in the past decade regardless of brand that I am not sure there is much of a difference between brands anymore - Only time will tell but in general I think most OEM's quit making 200k mile/20 year cars a long time ago. I suspect that you can, however, still buy 4-cylinder diesel VAG cars where you are, in which case that would be high on my list!
Old 03-03-2024, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Sallad
How can you say he is lying, you've never met him.

But at least your little suck hole friend is giving you likes, so there's that I guess.
easy, same as those two trudeaulikers that are calling me a shill and whatnot.

250k on stock suspension is NOT POSSIBLE, unless you are fine with clunking and loose suspension. Especially on bad roads, Im literally laughing hearing that fairy tale. Nobody will believe that sxit, not even avantly that audis stock suspension at 250k is good. Not just Audis, ANY CAR OR BRAND is shot at that mileage.
The following users liked this post:
kelisko (03-05-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by G-Cantescapethesludgepitelisko
easy, same as those two trudeaulikers that are calling me a shill and whatnot.

ANY CAR OR BRAND is shot at that mileage.
Gee that’s not political at all 🙄

How would you know - you can’t even take pictures of your clunky suspension never mind understand how it actually works. You already stated you know Audi has terrible design flaws in their suspensions 😂
Old 03-03-2024, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 166 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by G-Can
250k on stock suspension is NOT POSSIBLE, unless you are fine with clunking and loose suspension.
Well it is on this car, first time for me as well, unheard of, pretty much. The only sound is in the cold, I hear creaking from the back, I suspect its the upper strut mounts or similar. But haven't cared enough to fix it yet. It's only a small sound when its cold.

I have worked on a lot of different brands of suspension (Dodge, Ford, GMC, Benz, Audi, VW and Kai) so I know what to look for when they start to fail. I'll say it again, I've owned this car since 140,000 kms (previous one owner had records for all services) and nothing for the suspension has been done beside the regular service jobs, nothing about replacing actual components. It's now at 259,000kms. Yes this is crazy to think about, but mine must be a real gem to last this long. I've done two airbags on the Benz already lol

(Wife has '08 Mercedes GL320cdi, the diesel family hauler)

Last edited by Sallad; 03-03-2024 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-03-2024, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts

exemptions dont make it a rule. Just because yours is apparently good, means nothing on a grand scheme of things. There is literally not a single car that I drove at even 150k+ that wasnt clunking in one way or another. Audi especially.
Old 03-03-2024, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by G-Cantstopelisko
There is literally not a single car that I drove at even 150k+ that wasnt clunking in one way or another. Audi especially.
Try the brakes next time. This one has both your footprints all over the gas pedal 🤯

Old 03-03-2024, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 166 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by G-Can
There is literally not a single car that I drove at even 150k+ that wasnt clunking in one way or another. Audi especially.
What kind of cars have you owned in the past?

Quick Reply: Selling my Audis for cheap and leaving the brand