A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Shift to P, otherwise your vehicle can roll away

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Shift to P, otherwise your vehicle can roll away

Well, this is weird and hard to search for.

So, this afternoon, I pulled up parked the car, put the car in park, turned it off, and opened the door. As I was getting out, I got the "Shift to P, Otherwise vehicle can roll away. Doors do not lock if the lever is not in P." message. I have seen this a about a dozen times over the last year, but a slight tap on the shift **** and it would go off. This time is is on for good. I have tested it in both Tip mode and Sport mode and everything seems to be working fine.

The car is in park, and does not roll. It starts fine(mostly, but this is for a different thread) So it kind of thinks its in Park, but maybe Neutral.

I am thinking a sensor somewhere, but where?

Thoughts?
Old 11-27-2018, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 202 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by sswari
Well, this is weird and hard to search for.

So, this afternoon, I pulled up parked the car, put the car in park, turned it off, and opened the door. As I was getting out, I got the "Shift to P, Otherwise vehicle can roll away. Doors do not lock if the lever is not in P." message. I have seen this a about a dozen times over the last year, but a slight tap on the shift **** and it would go off. This time is is on for good. I have tested it in both Tip mode and Sport mode and everything seems to be working fine.

The car is in park, and does not roll. It starts fine(mostly, but this is for a different thread) So it kind of thinks its in Park, but maybe Neutral.

I am thinking a sensor somewhere, but where?

Thoughts?
It's a pretty common thing...basically the button which is on the shifter at times does not go all the way out when shifted in Park. I've had this in my C6 and noticed that when the thumb release wasn't retracted all the way, it would have the same message...but as soon as I clicked on the release a time or two, it would spring all the way back out and I was good to go.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by raj99
It's a pretty common thing...basically the button which is on the shifter at times does not go all the way out when shifted in Park. I've had this in my C6 and noticed that when the thumb release wasn't retracted all the way, it would have the same message...but as soon as I clicked on the release a time or two, it would spring all the way back out and I was good to go.
Thanks for the response, but this is more than that. It may be the switch that is involved, but it will not go away no matter how many times I flick the button. Even pulling it out does nothing. But it will let me start it, so it is not completely gone or like I said, maybe it thinks its in neutral.
Old 11-28-2019, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, I’m following up to see if you resolved this issue? I’m currently experiencing the same problem.
Old 11-29-2019, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

My guess to both would be a stretched shift cable to start, or a worn box from my next statement, when you park on a hill and have to yank it out of park with the loud bang over the years will do it. Re adjust it to re align it. Possibly at the mounting bracket for cable to trans, not sure on this one but older ones also had a adjustment screw in the shift box where the cable mounted.
Old 06-10-2024, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this issue with my Audi q7 2015 and we fixed it so I'll share with the group. It was cause by a corroded wire under the front passenger seat and this wire is connect to the transmission module. I'm pretty sure that was also cause by a Clogged condensate drain line (AC).

corroded wire

Location of the wire passenger seat

Transmission module