A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

snowchins?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Default snowchains?

after all the excitement with snowstorm in NY, should I get myself a set of snow-chains? amazon sells SC1036 for cheap. also do I need chains for two or four wheels. and is it legal around the city?
ps there is no point to have snow tires since I need it only a few time a year.

Last edited by beep-beep; 01-05-2011 at 06:59 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i doubt they are legal in nyc. Maybe somewhere in the suburbs

Why would you even want them? You got quattro!!
Old 12-28-2010, 08:30 AM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by beep-beep
after all the exsitement with snowstorm in NY, should I get myself a set of snowchains? amazon sells SC1036 for cheap. also do I need chains for two or four wheels. and is it legal around the city?
ps there is no point to have snowtires since I need it only a few time a year.
You might want to check your state laws when it comes to chains.
Chains will tear up your rims and could possibly do damage to your fenders depending on fitment.
I live in Chicago and feel it is necessary to have a set of dedicated winter rims\tires.
I'd rather spend the extra money on rims\tires and avoid an accident which could cause more monetary damage and possibly take a life.

Quattro wont help if you are on summer tires and winter tires will ALWAYS be better than any A/S tire.

Last edited by Audirings4; 12-28-2010 at 08:35 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by beep-beep
after all the exsitement with snowstorm in NY, should I get myself a set of snowchains? amazon sells SC1036 for cheap. also do I need chains for two or four wheels. and is it legal around the city?
ps there is no point to have snowtires since I need it only a few time a year.
i got high summer performance tires, and im not planning on adding no chains, we got Quattro, remember.
last years snow storm i was driving FDR south and saw so many jeeps, Beamer's and Benz's on the side while i passed by them . and i had summer tires lolol
Old 12-28-2010, 10:45 AM
Never Follows

Originally Posted by pcamaj
i got high summer performance tires, and im not planning on adding no chains, we got Quattro, remember.
last years snow storm i was driving FDR south and saw so many jeeps, Beamer's and Benz's on the side while i passed by them . and i had summer tires lolol
"we got quattro" simply verifies you know nothing about tires or awd systems.
Have fun trying to stop with high performance tires and quattro.

Last edited by Audirings4; 12-28-2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by MOFSTEEL
You might want to check your state laws when it comes to chains.
Chains will tear up your rims and could possibly do damage to your fenders depending on fitment.
I live in Chicago and feel it is necessary to have a set of dedicated winter rims\tires.
I'd rather spend the extra money on rims\tires and avoid an accident which could cause more monetary damage and possibly take a life.

Quattro wont help if you are on summer tires and winter tires will ALWAYS be better than any A/S tire.
I live in UK. The snow is very intermittent here in the winter. If I fit winter wheels/tyres do I have to keep changing back to summer every time the snow melts or can I run on winter wheels/tyres on dry roads?
Old 12-28-2010, 10:53 AM
Never Follows

This should help...

Winter Tires are designed to deliver safety and control in snow, ice, and cold weather conditions. Many people think that all-season tires can deliver this same performance, but this is not true. The superior traction that winter tires deliver, as much as 25 to 50 percent increase over all-season tires, can very well be the margin you need to stop in time or to turn and avoid trouble. The Rubber Manufacturers Association has gone so far as to set a new standard for winter traction, so read on and know the difference:

Tread Compound
Winter tires have special tread compounds that use one or more of the following features to deliver improved traction:

1. "Soft stud" tread fibers "bite" like metal studs yet are quiet and do not harm the road.
2. Special compounds retain their flexibility even in the coldest temperatures. A more flexible tread surface equals more traction and control.
3. Silica-based, micro pore compounds (or comparable technology) are used to bite through the water film and increase snow and ice traction.

Winter Tire ABS braking distance: 100% / All-Season Tire ABS braking distance: 142%

All-season tires have very different compounds:

1. Compounds are "averaged" to deliver better wear and good traction in a wide range of conditions, but the trade-off is a decrease in traction below 45 degrees Fahrenheit. This is the point where all-season tire compounds begin to harden and lose traction.
2. These tires must use denser compounds to deliver better wear. Micro pore or comparable technology is not suitable for these designs.
3. For the same reason no soft stud material is built into these tires.

Tread Design
Winter tires have tread designs dedicated to improving snow and ice traction. Today's most advanced winter designs deliver this while maintaining a comfortable, quiet highway ride as well as excellent dry traction.

1. Wider circumferential grooves enhance winter traction by providing efficient channels to drain water and expel snow.
2. Unlike snow tires of old, smaller shoulder grooves increase snow and ice traction with no sacrifice in dry handling or highway ride.
3. Special lug and groove shapes allow more snow to be packed into the tread and expelled as the tire rotates for better deep snow traction.
4. Sophisticated, high-density sipe designs (sipes are the little slits in the tread surface) help cut through water and slush so the tread compound can make better contact with the road.
5. Rounder casing designs add traction by cutting into the snow's surface.

All-season type tires can not include these features and still deliver the wear and high temperature traction that is required for driving during other times of the year.

1. Shoulder blocks and groove designs are a "compromise" that must meet cornering, wear and all-season traction requirements.
2. Less aggressive tread designs deliver more highway ride comfort, but tend to pack and not expel snow as effectively as winter tires.
3. Less siping is used.
4. Flatter tread designs enhance dry traction but don't cut into snow effectively.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MOFSTEEL
"we got quattro" simply verifies you know nothing about tires or awd systems.
Have fun trying to stop with high performance tires and quattro.
well i was throwing some sense of humor out there... and thanks for ur schooling in any case...
Old 12-28-2010, 11:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 174 Likes on 153 Posts

If you really need an approved traction device, look to Spike Spiders, which install in ~ 2 minutes w/o getting on your back to reach around the tire. Spike Spiders also won't interfer with the suspension parts due to close clearances. Also, check the owner's manual for chain applicability and advice. But I doubt you would need these or chains with the quattro drive system. I have driven my '06 A6 Avant up into the mountains for skiing with the OEM–supplier all season Pireli P6s and have had no trouble on grades with compacted snow/ice climbing or descending. Only thing I did was to place the air suspension in the lift mode to increase ground clearance. Judging what I have seen on the news, you probably have a clearance problem rather than a traction problem.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by A6Gary
If you really need an approved traction device, look to Spike Spiders, which install in ~ 2 minutes w/o getting on your back to reach around the tire. Spike Spiders also won't interfer with the suspension parts due to close clearances. Also, check the owner's manual for chain applicability and advice. But I doubt you would need these or chains with the quattro drive system. I have driven my '06 A6 Avant up into the mountains for skiing with the OEM–supplier all season Pireli P6s and have had no trouble on grades with compacted snow/ice climbing or descending. Only thing I did was to place the air suspension in the lift mode to increase ground clearance. Judging what I have seen on the news, you probably have a clearance problem rather than a traction problem.
x2...thats the real problem. my s-line was going through everything until it hit high snow. Probably like 8". Thats when i suspect the bottom was sitting on snow

Quick Reply: snowchins?