A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Snub Mount Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 09:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Snub Mount Replacement

Anyone know what's involved in a snub mount replacement on a 4.2L? I was told mine was bad.

Any other motor/transmission/etc.. mounts that are easy/cheap enough to replace that may as well be done too?
Old 09-19-2014, 11:17 AM
2005 A6 4.2

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wasn't horrible. Just did my 4.2 about a month or so ago.

Have to pull the front clip all off. Some will say you can squeeze it though from underneath, but it was tight and it would probably be more trouble that way. The front end comes off very easily with a few bolts. There is one bolt holding the bumper together with the fender underneath the headlight. There are little clips there too. Just push a plastic wedge in the gap and separate it.

Once you get down to the radiator support, I simply removed the top bolts and the bumper support bolts and separated it. I hung it with a wire to make sure it was not pulling on hoses and wires while i put in the new mount.

I went with the hard aftermarket mount and it has been running fine.

Don't think you can get at the other engine mounts from what I saw. The brackets are under the engine between the block.

I did repair my headlight aiming motor while it was off. Saved a bit of cash that way. Found a cut wire and a shorted running light wire. Soldered the broken wire back and replaced the shorted wire.

You may have to adjust the lights back into position if you have to remove them (don't remember if I needed to). They have 3 wheel nuts that seems to come off. You may want to measure the distance it is screwed out to get a base position.

If you need to just post pics if you get stuck and I can let you know.

Cheers.

Ray A.
Attached Images   
Old 09-19-2014, 11:21 AM
2005 A6 4.2

Forgot to mention (notice the drip in one of the pics). The headlight washer line is on the driver side under the headlamp. The clip is a push in then separate kind. It may spill some washer fluid there. You can keep it high it should not leak out.

You could plastidip your front grill while its off like I did.

Ray A.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for the info.

I was really hoping I didn't have to pull the front clip.. I did that a while ago for the serpentine belt. Should have done the snub mount that time too probably. I spent more time messing with the headlights than doing any of the rest. It's impossible to get them back on so that the gaps are even on all sides of both headlights. It seems the auto-leveling mostly takes care of the aim though. Didn't have any trouble with that. The other issue I had was the end of bumpers, and fitting them back into the cracks between the fender and the black plastic thing. One of my black plastic things came off when I was taking the bumper off, and the other side the part of the bumper with the holes is cracked all the way down through all of the holes..

I may start with trying to squeeze it in from underneath as you had mentioned some people having some luck with, but I guess I'll go into it with lowered expectations and expect to have to pull the whole front..

If I do end up pulling the front clip, anything else there I should replace? I really don't want to have to do it again any time soon..

Again, thank you for the info.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:30 PM
2005 A6 4.2

I think what helped for the headlight for me was that I had the headlight "lids" on and that gave me a reference for the position against the fender edge.

You could do something similar and put black tape on the headlight edge close to the fender so you can tell how far out to get it.

Not that I could see. You may want to check for oil leaks in that area.