A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

So my recently-purchased 07 A6 is vibrating at high speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So my recently-purchased 07 A6 is vibrating at high speeds...

We noticed the vibration/pulsation (it's really more a repetitive pulsation than a vibration) on this car prior to purchasing and were assured it would be taken care of for our purchase and put it in the contract. Being an Audi dealer and certified we were confident it would be done. We went to pick up the car and it still vibrated. We walked on the sale and got a call later in the week that they fixed it with new tires and 17" wheels (it had 18s before). We drove it and ended up buying it. All of 100 or so miles and 2 days later, the car is doing it again. I'm going to have to contact the dealer, but I was wondering if anyone had any potential cause of this that I could suggest to them? I really do want the car. It's rock solid up until about 55/60/65 mph range. I'm going to ask if they road force balanced the tires, but I don't have any other ideas beyond that.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

High speed wheel balance would be the first one would think. But after they replaced the wheels and tires sounds like it might be something a bit more complicated. If you agreed on the dealer having to correct that problem you should go back to them and make sure they stand behind there work.

As far as the "pulsating" goes I had the same problem on my A6 after replacing a blown out tire with a used matching tire. The used tire was the culprit. Possibly the dealer gave you "like new" tires.

Last edited by audisport1; 03-29-2010 at 05:38 AM.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Ask for Hunter Roadforce Balancing And. . .

Originally Posted by 1st car in my name
We noticed the vibration/pulsation (it's really more a repetitive pulsation than a vibration) on this car prior to purchasing and were assured it would be taken care of for our purchase and put it in the contract. Being an Audi dealer and certified we were confident it would be done. We went to pick up the car and it still vibrated. We walked on the sale and got a call later in the week that they fixed it with new tires and 17" wheels (it had 18s before). We drove it and ended up buying it. All of 100 or so miles and 2 days later, the car is doing it again. I'm going to have to contact the dealer, but I was wondering if anyone had any potential cause of this that I could suggest to them? I really do want the car. It's rock solid up until about 55/60/65 mph range. I'm going to ask if they road force balanced the tires, but I don't have any other ideas beyond that.
Ask the Hunter Technician to print out a before and after report. If after Hunter Roadforce balancing, the vibration remains, it is most likely a:

(1) out of round tire OR

(2) bent rim

Happy motoring,
H3rmes
Old 03-30-2010, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well that didn't work. They road force balanced it and it's still vibrating. My wife brought it in and they didn't give her a printout before or after. The tech drove it again and said it was ok, but it isn't. It's noticeable the higher you go above 60, is more noticeable under light acceleration than heavy acceleration, and 65 mph and light acceleration seems to bring out the peak of its badness. I brought it back today and they said it might be a bent rim, but wanted to do the service when I pick up my plates in 10 days or so. I have a 500 mile drive ahead of me for Easter weekend and, even if it's not a safety concern, it'll drive me nuts that I paid $25k. Gonna try to fight for the problem to be looked at sooner...
Old 03-30-2010, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 163 Likes on 117 Posts

Can you isolate the vibration to one corner of the car? If so I would swap the tires front/rear on that side and see if the problem moves. And if you do not have directional tires you can move the tires left right. If the problem moves with the tire you have found the problem (either a bad tire or bent rim). If it does not move then there is something wrong with the axle (wheel bearing, CV joint, warped brake disk). It is not surprising that the problem is worse at 65. Every car I have ever owned seems to be worse at that speed. I suspect that in general suspension tuning tends to end up with a resonance near that speed.
Old 09-28-2021, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever get to the bottom of the issue , was it the centre prop shaft support bearing?
Old 09-30-2021, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Andyiam1234
Did you ever get to the bottom of the issue , was it the centre prop shaft support bearing?
I see another one with issue.. sorry Andy, prepare yourslef to never sort it out.

I will say this. Over engineered german crap. all these sxzyt cars vibrate more or less.
Old 09-30-2021, 09:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 406 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Andyiam1234
I concur with what most people said above. Bad tires or bent wheels/rims. Watch this:

​​​​​​​
The following users liked this post:
beep-beep (10-01-2021)