A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Spark Plugs 3.2 engine - DIY - some tips and my own experiance

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 09:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Plugs 3.2 engine - DIY - some tips and my own experiance

Since I always find some helfull info on this forum I am going to share some experience that can be helpfull somebody in future. There is already good thread about how to replace spark plugs but here we go one more time.

Audi A6 2005 3.2 75k, I got the car with 58k a year and half ago.
Spark plugs ordered from rockauto - was the best price, $70 shipped. NGK PFR7W-TG.
Tools:
Nice deep 5/8 spark plug socket (magnetic, no ruber insert) ordered from esc tuning for about $15. Excellent tool!
With socket I ordered and some dilelectric grease.
Torque wrench Craftsman,... I did not have plan to use this but was some nice sale in Sears and got one for $49.99.
You will need also few screwdrivers, small awl, socket bit...

So to be able pull out all coils and plugs you have to remove coolant reservoar on driver side, there is just one screw to be removed and just place reservoar in the side. do not disconect any hoases. On other side air filter box has to be removed. No screws just look around and see what has to be deatached and removed. I will attach some pics. After this you have free space on both side to remove coils. First you will need to disconect wires. Use small awl. I removed my coils by hand. They just popo out easy, maybe because I got all new coils a less then year ago as a part of recall for our audis.
I did replace spark plugs one by one, and did put some grease on plugs (ceramic). The old plugs look bad. Used torque wrench to get 22ft/pound.

After replacing all 6 just put everything back and you are ready for test drive.

Before replacing I did notice that car has some vibration when idle, and gas milage was worse in past few months. I think that spark plugs have never been changed on my audi. I was planing to do that since I got the car but too many things happend in past year and did not have time and place to do by myself.
Yes I do not belive anybody and do not like anybody work on my car, all bad experience over the years. This time again. Last year in march or april all coils were replaced by dealer. Yesterday I found that air filter box wasnt secure propertly and air tube that goes from air filter box to engine on engine side was loosed, tube was not attached all around to engine!!! So some unfiltered air probably were going to engine all time. I did one oil change and did check oil and other fluids few times in past half year but never found this. I know that dealer where I used to take my audis has some good mechanics and that is why I am even more disapointed.
Attached Images      
Old 01-27-2013, 09:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

few more pics...
Attached Images   
Old 01-27-2013, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Nice. I just did plugs on mine yesterday and actually on my way to get the fuel filter and brake fluid flush (sitting at car wash right now). Do you bu any change have a DIY on coolant flush?
Old 01-27-2013, 01:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by audia6s
Nice. I just did plugs on mine yesterday and actually on my way to get the fuel filter and brake fluid flush (sitting at car wash right now). Do you bu any change have a DIY on coolant flush?
I did not do coolant flush on this car yet. Shouldnt be something special, look for lowest point where you can let fluid out and add new fluid. I guess on this way not all fluid will get out but it is beter than nothing. I hope this year I will get my garage so coolant flush, brake fluid flush etc will be my weekends jobs.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Good DIY guide. Anyway to tell if my coil packs were already replaced for the recall? Also you mentioned they were recalled, any place I could find info on this recall? I couldn't find any recalls online.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Doomriders
Good DIY guide. Anyway to tell if my coil packs were already replaced for the recall? Also you mentioned they were recalled, any place I could find info on this recall? I couldn't find any recalls online.
Contact your local Audi Stealership and they'll be able to tell you.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Doomriders
Like enoch861 said... contact local Audi dealer. Just have VIN# ready and they are going to check.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hello can I use Autolite Iridium XP spark plugs on my 2005 A6 3.2
Old 05-19-2017, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 395 Likes on 353 Posts

Bronx, I wouldn't.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Autolite Iridium XP