A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Sport Seats Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport Seats Question

Anyone in Northern Virginia have a an A6 C6 with sport seats that would be willing to let my wife and I check out. We are about to order a new A6 and are undecided whether or not to order the sport seats. I want to, but my wife is only 5"1" and is afraid she may find the sport seats uncomfortable (she would be the primary driver). We are in Fairfax. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Had the same problem

Just got my wife's A6, less sport seats. She's 5.2 on a good day, depending on who's measuring. She likes my S4 from time to time, but hates getting into and out of the seats. Furthermore, the seat bottom is longer with the sport seats, and that is uncomfortable for her as it keeps poking her in the back of her knees.

Then I also heard stories where a small person likes the sport seats because they are narrower.

So, this won't help you, esp. since I am in CA =) But I understand your dilemma. Until then, S4 for me and A6 for her, with the occasional trade the other way round.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:22 PM

Default My daughter is 32 inches. She likes the seat, but she stands. LOL :)

I like them they are okay and I'm only 5-08. The only thing I don't like is when my mobile is on the belt clip when I get it it pops off.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:49 AM

Default The sports seats are great for spirited driving.

They are not quite as comfortable and easy to get in and out of as the regular seats. They are comfortable for sports seats. Its a trade off. It all depends on how much spirited driving you think you will do.
I tried both before getting my car. For me and what I use the car for, (I have clients in my car a lot), I was better off with regular seats.
Old 11-25-2005, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Re: Sport Seats

I don't want to get personal here, but sport seats sometimes receive complaints from folks who are "big" (and big can mean a lot of things, many of them do not suggest anything to do with the "American Condition.")

I am 6' tall and weigh 186 pounds (I need to lose 5 pounds, i.e.), Audi's sport seats are great for extended trips (at least 2+ hours without stopping.) On the other hand, I have driven my A6 3.2 with the regular seats from Pittsburgh to Cincinnati (about 4 hours, without stopping) without adverse effect.

For my body, the sport seats can be slightly more comfortable for long distance driving and for any driving with any lateral moves of consequence, well, the sport seat's side bolsters absolutely prevent you from being tossed around like a rag doll in the cockpit.

The current iteration of the A6's (as sent to the US) standard seats are pretty firm and conducive to long distance, near fatigue free driving.

I have premium leather -- I have no idea if "non premium" leather standard seats are somehow less supportive (I doubt it) -- I have the 18" wheels+tires but the standard suspension (I know, for $250 what was I thinking?) -- I suspect if I were to begin regularly and frequently tossing my A6 about on the secondary twisties here in southwestern Ohio, I would miss the sport seats.

However, since I usually drive most spirited in a straight line, I don't miss the sport seats too much.

Given a magic wand and no financial penalty, I would, knowing what I know now, however, probably check off the sport seat (and sport suspension) option boxes were I at the exact same spot I was in some 8 months ago.

BTW, my dealer actually suggested to "go with the 18" wheel option ($1,000) instead of the then offered $1,250 sport package, convincing me that the new A6 had a much stiffer chassis and improved suspension (over my prior 2001 A6 4.2 Sport) -- to the extent that I wouldn't miss the extra stiff springs.

Small regret, small regret.

To further confuse you, I would if I could have ONE but not BOTH, probably opt for the sport package with my premium leather and pass on the sport seats.

I just don't have the ability or opportunity to toss the car with enough regularity and frequency to need sport seats.

They do look great however, and other than a bit more (tiny bit) difficulty in mounting and dismounting, they are (with my body) comfortable.

I think I would suggest getting behind the wheel (and driving) an S4 for somewhat of an approximation of what the sport seat option would be like in an A6, unless you actually can find an A6 so equipped to test.