A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

standard supension regrets

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 05:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default standard supension regrets

Bought my 2010 3.0T Prestige last year and mostly love the car. I have a 60 mile commute down the New Jersey turnpike and it takes care of business quite nicely. Complaints are few. Primarily a persistent dashboard rattle as well as a persistent regret that I didn't seek out a car with sport suspension. I have two questions: does the sport suspension (with 18" wheels) ride much harder than the standard set-up and, more to the point, would it be possible to upgrade my car to sport suspension spec?
Old 07-09-2010, 07:32 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

I know they are different animals, but I went from a 2007 A4 with sport suspension and 18" wheels to my current 2008 A6 with standard suspension and 18" wheels. The only thing I can say is fairly obvious. The A4 handled better in the curves but was rather harsh on the extremely poor NJ roads. I bent three wheels on the A4 on three separate occasions. The A6 is amazingly better at absorbing the rough stuff but does give up some handling prowess, although it is also a larger car with touring tires.

Personally I'm thinking of going with UHP tires and larger rear sway bar to tighten up the handling a bit and not give up the cars ability to take the brutal punishment of these roads.

I'm sure someone else will chime in but I believe you can install the sport suspension pieces but for the same amount of labor coil-overs may offer a superior solution.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

President of the company I work for has an S6 V10... and I have my A6 3.2Q.

He has remarked how "smooth" mine rides when we go to lunch. I don't mention how rough his is when I ride in it.

Having said that, I would *love* the power and handling of the S6. I'm just not at all sure I'd want it in a daily driver. For me, it may get tiring.

I would be interested in a 4.2 A6 with a suspension somewhere between the two!
Old 07-10-2010, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I've had my '10 with 18" sport package for 1,500+ miles now and do not consider the ride hard/harsh at all. When I first test drove A6's, I only drove non-sport package models before ordering mine with the sport package.

The thing I liked about the 18" sport package vs the 19" was that it came with all-season tires (I live in New England) vs the UHP summer tires on the 19" package, which while enhancing the grip of the car, also give it a firmer & noisier ride.

The 18" sport tires are actually the same size (245/40) as on the non-sport Prestige model, just with a slightly firmer, lower suspension - I'm sure you could do an after-market suspension upgrade to accomplish the same.

Last edited by audi40; 07-10-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get H&R Sport Springs and you will be good. The roll on 3.0t without sport is horrible.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ultimate cure which may not be a A6 option anymore:
http://www.audiusa.com/us/brand/en/t...n.browser.html

To answer the OP's question..the straight Sport suspension will ride stiffer won't cure your NJ road ride problem, I've read just changing to a different tire can make a big difference and don't put over-sized wheels on.

Last edited by mystrodo; 07-11-2010 at 10:13 AM. Reason: link
Old 07-11-2010, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've had an 05 A6 with regular suspension and 16" wheels and I now have 08 A6 with Adaptive suspension and 19" OEM wheels. Huge difference with the two. I live in NY and I found myself avoiding and slowing down on even minor pot holes with the 08. It's a very rough ride. I just purchased an OEM Sline 18" wheels from another member for my winter set and I hope they will be a huge difference.

I keep the Adaptive suspension set to "Comfort" but it's still rough.

BTW - With the 16" I did not pay attention at all on the road conditions (potholes). I would drive 45mph on uneven cobblestone streets and it was noisy but not uncomfortable.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've also got the AAS and your correct..even in it's softest position it's still firm but nothing like the Dynamic mode which I only use on the interstates or cruising down the boulevard trying to look low and kool
I don't think we'll ever see an A6 that'll ride like a Buick Park Ave
Without highjacking this thread...have you decided what winter performance tires you'll be installing?

Last edited by mystrodo; 07-11-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Thanks for the advice

This was my first question to the forum and it was good to get some helpful advice. After being pointed in the right direction, I did some more research and it looks like the Eibach Pro Kit would be perfect - lowers the car a bit, reduces the roly-poly handling yet keeps it comfy on bumpy highways. Not even very expensive. There must be catch!....anyone who's used these spring kits, let me know what to beware of before I make a mistake and change my stock shocks to Eibach. Thanks!
Old 07-14-2010, 02:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 924 Likes on 756 Posts

The handling in my car improved significantly with a more aggressive rear sway bar and Koni FSD dampers. The ride even improved slightly. If you change the springs you may find that the ride gets harsher.

Quick Reply: standard supension regrets