A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Steering Wheel Button Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Button Question

Hello, I have a question regarding a button on the steering wheel since I don't have the manual. I know there are two "versions" or at least icons on the button on the right next to the volume control dial. One with an arrow with soundwaves and another with a face with soundwaves. I assumed the one with the face was for the technology package and its related voice prompt options. I have this "face" version but do not have the technology package. When I press this button, I get a message on my display that says "button inactive". I have nav and BT (obviously), but this button does not work for voice prompt for either system. Is this right? What does the Arrow with sound waves version button do. I'm ticked that this button is effectively useless, especially for handsfree dialing. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DudeDah
Hello, I have a question regarding a button on the steering wheel since I don't have the manual. I know there are two "versions" or at least icons on the button on the right next to the volume control dial. One with an arrow with soundwaves and another with a face with soundwaves. I assumed the one with the face was for the technology package and its related voice prompt options. I have this "face" version but do not have the technology package. When I press this button, I get a message on my display that says "button inactive". I have nav and BT (obviously), but this button does not work for voice prompt for either system. Is this right? What does the Arrow with sound waves version button do. I'm ticked that this button is effectively useless, especially for handsfree dialing. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
I was in the same boat. The button an inactive but you can reactivate it with VagCom. Very simple process and after turning your car on and off few times (mine took 6 times) you can use voice dialing an the button becomes active.