A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

STOPTECH brakes for you A6/C6 model are now available!!!! Contact...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My focus is on the performance of the brakes and your focus is on the holes.

What I do know is that I like to kick it up a notch in some of my local canyons. Potrero and Balcom are two fun canyons where I can turn things up and not bother anyone. Canyon racing? No! Spirited driving where I can slow down to avoid a ticket? Certainly! There is nothing scarier than rallying into the third or fourth corner of a run and have the brake pedal go to the floor with a rather knarly off-road excursion lingering to one side or the other. This is the source of "butt pucker" I spoke of earlier and this is what the stock JUNK brakes offer me. My A6 with stock brakes stops way worse than any A4 I have owned, certainly due to the extra weight and the 20" wheels I paid so dearly for.

I switch over to StopTechs and my brakes instantly get better with every turn. The more heat in them the better they perform, hence "pucker" issues are nearly eliminated unless I stuff my rig into a corner faster than a speeding idiot.

Cross-drilled or not, I could care less frankly. I'd take slotted and I think you can get those too if you want them. The larger braking surface and the inherent benefits I get from a system that is brake dynoed and fully tested for my A6/C6 model far outweigh the discussion of my dimples/holes looking rice and how heat dissipates or whatever.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default cool & Thanks. Have you got a name there?

I'll be calling from overseas and it'll help massively if I have a name there to ask for.

Thanks again for the headsup on this.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:00 PM

Reference the "Canyon Run" explanation below. Stock brakes can't stand up!
Old 04-23-2008, 06:31 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts
Default "Cross-drilled or not, I could care less frankly."

If you are using your brakes to the point where the stock brakes fade, you should care. That's my point.

BTW, you sound like the kind of guy that could use a Miata. If you have the room, a decent used one will run you $3k and give you all the fun that you can handle.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I've already discussed this with Servotronic here. Will keep you posted.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Great, thanks. Did you get the pricing for them?

And congrats on getting your car in Eurpoean Car mag. Am trying to get a copy here.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm actually getting abit fed up with the stock set-up in normal applications.

I don't track the car, and Singapore doesn't have long enough stretches to over heat the brakes.

BUT - they are grabby and difficult to modulate. I've even had them bled by the dealer, to little effect.

There's also quite a bit of play in the pedal, probably due to wear and the hoses flexing.

Yes, they're good enough to stop you in an emergency, but they're making driving a jerky affair, which detracts from the quality of the car.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Don't think that you should knock someone who enjoys driving his C6.

Suggesting a Miata isn't a solution for someone who loves his car and is willing to improve its performance.

Yes, I could buy a Miata or a Lotus Elise, but I would lose the things that I love about the Audi.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default OK. Not a fan of....

servotronic though. I have called Grund Auto which is listed on Stop Techs website as the local importer. They have not heard of this but will find out and get back to me. Will update.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:02 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Neither do I. Who is knocking anyone?

I enjoy my Audi's, but I recognize that there are other cars too. I was merely suggesting that if he enjoys that kind of driving, he might consider trying a Miata.

Quick Reply: STOPTECH brakes for you A6/C6 model are now available!!!! Contact...