A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

strange issue with rear parking sensors...only works in warm weather!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 202 Likes on 173 Posts
Default strange issue with rear parking sensors...only works in warm weather!

very odd issue I've been experiencing and I've decided that I need some external advice after doing some troubleshooting on my own.

My 06 A6 4.2 is in great shape, but the one issue that seems to exist is that when I'm reversing the car in cool/cold weather the rear parking sensors simply don't work and all I hear is one long tone (i.e. 3 seconds) and nothing appears in the my MMI display. However, on warm and hot days, the rear parktronic sensors work great! I get the beeping sound that alerts me to how far I am away from an object and I also get the MMI displaying an image of the car and showing which sensor is alerting and how far away I am.

Does anyone have experience with a similar issue and have any advice on what I could do to fix?

FWIW, the vag-com does say there is an issue WHEN the rear-parktronic is not working, however there is NO error codes when the system works.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have a similar problem. But mine only works in the rain or winter. I'm not sure if its the moisture that makes it work. I get an intermittent signal on my middle right sensor. I even took the sensor etc apart and checked the connections but it didn't go away. I will end up replacing the whole sensor.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

So I took at look at the trunk area and actually removed the parktronic module and cleaned it up and installed it back in...but guess what? The problem persists.

I know the systems works...since it does everytime the weather is warm...but why the F is it not working when weather is cooler/cold?
Old 10-24-2013, 11:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

There has to be a connection that is a bit on the "loose" side. When the cold weather arrives things contract enough to cause a failure. Look at the connection points if you can.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

So after some further testing, I was able to determine that I'm not hearing any sound from 2 of my rear sensors (both on the passenger side of the car).

Therefore, have a pretty straightforward question...how do I actually remove the sensor? It's a pretty tight fit to get my hand in there, but I can get to the sensor, but can't seem to figure out HOW to remove it. Any advice?

I'd ideally like to remove the sensor and then test the change the sensor with one that's working and test the wiring vs. the sensor. thnx
Old 05-12-2019, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

had this problem with my Audi A6, parking sensors didn't work none of them were clicking,Turn on the igniton and put the gear in R.Then i took all of the sensors out and tested them separately in one of the connectors (You should hear the clicking noise if they are working), and the result showed that 2 of the sensors was out of action and they made some problem with the hole system so even if 2 out of 4 were fully functional non were clicking or giving any sound when they were plugged in with the broken ones, hope this will solve some issues for some one.