A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Stupid smart wipers

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 04:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikegilbert
I HATE my autowipers with a passion- they never function correctly. As others have mentioned, I'll be driving along at 35 with light drizzle, at which point they'll kick onto full blast. The lightest smudge of water will send them on a wiping frenzy.
I am in complete agreement with Mikegilbert here.....same identical thing happens to me, I hate the auto/progreesive wiper crap. anyone know how to turn this off???? MMI setting???
Old 04-30-2010, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

i think i leave mine on auto pretty much all the time. sometimes they do go into a frenzy...but it's so rare that it never bothers me.

I won't ever be able to live without rain-sensing wipers.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Counterpoint

I actually think that the wipers work extremely well, are very intuitive to changing conditions/heavy/light rain/mist. Mine work really well on our 2005 A6. I ilterally never touch the wiper stalk, I leave it in auto all the time. They constantly surprise me with how good they are. Now, the same cannot be said for my Land Rover Lr3. Those auto wipers are seemingly designed by monkeys. They are crazy. You may want to try to clean your windshield very well, when our A6 is clean they work beautifully, if alot of smashed bugs get on the windshield upper area where the sensor is, they aren't great.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

I like the auto-wipers and the wipers are set to auto and we never touch them. The key is to have good wiper blades. I replace them every year so all is well.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I will try new blades.....they smear a little so maybe this is the issue.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sadly we have the auto wipers on both our 2010 A6 Avant and our 2008 Porsche 911S. I am in the camp that HATES these things. They don't work as well as I would like, add cost and complexity for next to no benefit and wait until you have to replace a windscreen... the autowiper feature adds a lot of $ to that process as we found out when we had to replace two windscreens on our previous DD with auto wipers.

Sometimes the old, simple way is better.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The Audi auto wiper actually works better than the Lexus one, still its not perfect. There are many option I must have in a luxury car and auto wiper is not one of them. I would gladly take the old fashion intermittent wiper over these fancy electronic rain sensing wipers.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by A6Gary
1) No, they stay on. 2) If the wiper stock is in the on position, the wipers will be on when you restart.
Mine definitely do not restart without me changing the wiper stalk position one way or another, and they will stop when to car stops moving. This is true in Low, High, and Auto. Someone commented that they restart once the car hit the speed where the doors lock, but I'm not willing to drive that far/long blind.

Is you car a 2010? I don't know if the behavior of the wipers has changed, but my car is a 2010 A6 Avant.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by zzz4
I like the auto-wipers and the wipers are set to auto and we never touch them. The key is to have good wiper blades. I replace them every year so all is well.
I was wondering, where do you get your wiper blades from? none of the automotive stores sells blades that fit our car.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDYL
I was wondering, where do you get your wiper blades from? none of the automotive stores sells blades that fit our car.
I get my wipers from here, the cheapest I found so far.

http://audi.bernardiparts.com/Produc...ADEKIT-A6.aspx

Quick Reply: Stupid smart wipers