A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Suspension for S6

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension for S6

After being away from the Audi family for several years it looks like I will be coming back in the future. I recently drove a 2008 S6 and really loved the car. The interior was exceptional, even by Audi's standards, and the engine was just some icing on the cake.

However, the suspension was certainly harsher than I would prefer, and I remember the magazines mentioning it back when the car was new too. I was curious if anyone here has tried anything to soften the car up at all.

So far I see that Biltein shocks/struts are available. And H&R makes lowering springs (which usually don't improve the ride of a vehicle). Does anyone know if the A6 shocks/struts from the same generation are compatible? I see that the part numbers are different through Audi, and IIRC the S6 was already around 1" lower than the A6. I don't think throwing on stock A6 suspension is a good idea at all, but it might open up some other options if they were compatible.

Another question I had is what are people doing who have....um...wider hips than the S6 seats were intending for? My wife actually liked the A6 seats, but I thought the sport seats in the S6 were simply outstanding. I assume that bolting in an A6 seat is an option, but has anyone had luck with other (less involved) ideas?

I've gone back and read the last two years of posts about the S6. Thanks *so* much to the existing owners of these cars for sharing a ton of great information. Lazydog, canucks6, z06psi, and others have been really helpful.

Thanks for any insights you can share.
-Dan
Old 02-19-2013, 12:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

'08 S6 owner here...

OEM 19 inch wheels on low profile rubberband tires on the S6 also contribute to the less than cushy ride. May be you can downsize to 18 inch wheels and up the profile of the tires to soften the ride...
Old 02-19-2013, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the tip! I've seen that Tire Rack has several 18" wheels that are said to clear the S6 brakes. I was planning on 18's for winter tires anyway, so that may help the ride some too.
-Dan

Originally Posted by paullee
'08 S6 owner here...

OEM 19 inch wheels on low profile rubberband tires on the S6 also contribute to the less than cushy ride. May be you can downsize to 18 inch wheels and up the profile of the tires to soften the ride...
Old 02-19-2013, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if the suspension seem ruff then its probably the suspension
y do people always default to changing the tires.. dont u think there will be some loss in PERFORMANCE with the extra sidewall and everything that comes with that...sure add more sidewall if all your doing is driving on straight roads.. around my way roads bend and i actually like them

i am pretty sure how it is riding today is not how it rode its 1st year
these are german luxury vehicles ..suspension should feel confortable but somewhat tight
if you car is not riding smooth then im sorry to say...its your suspension
the car is a 2008 and this is 2013
my guess is yes there's nothing broken or clanking BUT there is plenty of wear on every rubber part by now

people with c6 a6 have done great w KONI FSD shocks/struts if they offer something for s6 u will see much improvement but Bilsteins may be better for performance

S6 oem specs are 265 35 19 .. 265 .. 35 .. not rubber bands to me but thats my opinion

heres an idea ... dont buy new 18in wheels w new 18in tires .. buy struts and new 19in tires .. get 255 40 19s this will give u more sidewall .. and put the saved money on struts ... struts are probably less money then wheels so u will have saved money ... maybe enough $ for some H&R sway bars .. then u will know u bought a S6 not an el dorado

just my .02
Old 02-19-2013, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the reply. I've run a lot of different wheel/tire setups on various cars. In most cases there was very little ride quality change when going from as much as a 60 series down to a 40 series tire. But between 40, 35, and 30 series I have noticed a definite difference.

As you stated, the original tires are 265/35R19. These have an aproximate diameter of ~26.3". Other tire options in the 18" size include a 265/40R18, which is ~26.3" in diameter, and a 245/45R18, which is 26.7" in diameter. All are available in the XL weight rating.

With that said, I tend to agree that what I thought I was feeling was not stiff/short sidewall as much as it was simply high spring rates and/or lots of damping.

I did find that KW makes their V3 coilovers for the C6 S6. Costly, but at least it is an option. Along with adjustable compression and rebound, KW's are also really friendly about a lot of spring rate options. At around $3k they certainly aren't cheap, but I'm guessing I would easily have $1500 in to a setup using Bilstein shocks and aftermarket springs. Plus, I don't really want to lower the car anyway.

-Dan
Old 02-19-2013, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MainlandMig
if the suspension seem ruff then its probably the suspension
y do people always default to changing the tires.. dont u think there will be some loss in PERFORMANCE with the extra sidewall and everything that comes with that...sure add more sidewall if all your doing is driving on straight roads.. around my way roads bend and i actually like them

i am pretty sure how it is riding today is not how it rode its 1st year
these are german luxury vehicles ..suspension should feel confortable but somewhat tight
if you car is not riding smooth then im sorry to say...its your suspension
the car is a 2008 and this is 2013
my guess is yes there's nothing broken or clanking BUT there is plenty of wear on every rubber part by now

people with c6 a6 have done great w KONI FSD shocks/struts if they offer something for s6 u will see much improvement but Bilsteins may be better for performance

S6 oem specs are 265 35 19 .. 265 .. 35 .. not rubber bands to me but thats my opinion

heres an idea ... dont buy new 18in wheels w new 18in tires .. buy struts and new 19in tires .. get 255 40 19s this will give u more sidewall .. and put the saved money on struts ... struts are probably less money then wheels so u will have saved money ... maybe enough $ for some H&R sway bars .. then u will know u bought a S6 not an el dorado

just my .02
I have to respectfully disagree with you. If the suspension was bad the ride would be sluggish not stiff. Yes, this is a German car, but it is a German sports car. The ride is supposed to be stiff for the weight of the car to be able to handle as good as it does. You do not want roll in the corners at the speeds it is capable of taking them at.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lazydog
I have to respectfully disagree with you. If the suspension was bad the ride would be sluggish not stiff. Yes, this is a German car, but it is a German sports car. The ride is supposed to be stiff for the weight of the car to be able to handle as good as it does. You do not want roll in the corners at the speeds it is capable of taking them at.
your not disagreeing with me ... u may be over interpreting or misinterpreting some of my words... but i dont see it as a disagreement

the original complaint was not sluggish suspension or firm / stiff suspension ... it was "harsh" ride and im interpreting it as harsh feedback and allowing the whole suspension system to be at fault .. not just tires and not just the delayed/spongy reaction of struts.

Last edited by MainlandMig; 02-19-2013 at 05:27 PM.