A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Switching lights RHD to LHD

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switching lights RHD to LHD

Probably only of interest to those of us in the UK who venture into the rest of Europe where they drive on the "wrong" side of the road (ok, it's just us, Australia, New Zealand and Japan that use the left!)...

Is there an easy way to change the direction of Xenon lights for LHD / RHD? My BMWs had little levers behind the lights so I could do it the ferry port thus driving with lights set appropriately in each country.

I seem to recall seeing something somewhere that said on an Audi this was a dealer task, not for the owner. Can anyone confirm this as I am off to France shortly after (hopefully) picking up my car.

Thanks,
Richard.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:13 PM

Trip to the dealer im afraid.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:07 PM

Default Why oh why? Not impossible, surely...

If BMW could have done it on my 2001 330Ci and subsequent X5, surely Audi can have caught up by now! It is doubly frustrating that the US built X5 has it even though that market doesn't need it!

It is going to be costly and time consuming to do this everytime I go abroad and probably not very nice for anyone coming the other way when I drive back home from Portsmouth at night.

Anyway thanks for the info Jim - if I ever get that place in France that I long for, then I guess I'd have to defect back to BMW!! :-(
Old 01-04-2006, 07:03 AM

Default Re: Why oh why? Not impossible, surely...

The fact that it is a dealer job is a complete idiocy from Audi.

I drive on the continent 3-5 times a year.
Do they really expect me to waste my time and money for 6 - 10 conversions a year??? What makes thinks even worse; if you don't do it you may invalidate your insurance. And, you can't use stickers as they would melt. WHAT NOW???

Audi morons, why couldn't you do the same as BMW?!
Old 01-24-2006, 04:13 AM

Default I have just tried to do it myself and...

These is what i have done:

1. Before you start make sure that lights are switched off and the ignition is off - take the key out of ignition. Risk of explosion/injury/damage if you do not do that - Xenons need very high voltage at start-up. Ideally, battery should be disconnected to be 100% sure.

it is very easy to switch passenger side:

2. unclip 2 top clips that hold the xenon light assembly cover (square-ish shape)
3. tilt the cover gently, as far as it can go without any force. Make sure you do not break the bottom 2 clips.
4. use a screwdriver or something else long enough to move a metal lever from top to bottom position (DO NOT TUCH THE WIRES INSIDE - YOU NEVER KNOW). You can not miss it, it is pointing towards you as you look inside.
5. push the cover back into its position until 2 top clips click into place

Driver side is a different story:

6. you need to remove air intake assembly to be able to reach the back cover.
(A have no idea how and I am reluctant to try. Shame you can not reach the light assembly cover so easily as the other side).
7. follow procedure described above.
8. refit air intake assembly.

Done.

I will leave it to that when driving in Europe:

passenger side headlight: LHD position
Driver side headlight: RHD position

i suppose this is better than leaving both to RHD setting.

Hope this will help (well, only 50%)

Cheers

P.S. It would be nice if someone can post instructions how to remove air intake assembly.

Please note that a will not accept any responsibility for any damage or injury while attempting to do this. Do not try this if you do not know what you are doing.