A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Tail light "covers/lens" cracking. Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FormulaElement
I just replaced mine with aftermarket lenses for much cheaper than the dealer ones. Both of my OEM tail lights had stress marks all over them and one was cracked side to side, causing bulb out issues because of moisture getting in and corroding them.

These aftermarket ones don't seem as thick but hopefully won't crack like the OEM ones, well at least not for a long time. I bought These ones. I think they make the car look a little newer as well.
Installed pictures? Would like to see what they look like. I'm sure that's cheaper than OEM ones purchased from a dealer, but those aren't particularly cheap.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mavila
Installed pictures? Would like to see what they look like. I'm sure that's cheaper than OEM ones purchased from a dealer, but those aren't particularly cheap.
After the currency conversion and shipping, they only cost me half the price the dealer was going to charge me for a replacement set. I'm not at home right now so I don't have the pictures on me, but I uploaded them to a thread on Audizine. You can find it at the bottom of the thread here. They did take a while to get, I do believe they spent around 2 weeks at customs. We can thank Sons of Anarchy for smuggling drugs and guns in with car parts for that haha!
Old 06-28-2014, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 921 Likes on 753 Posts

Both of mine developed the appearance of stress cracks. I had the dealer replace both sides when I started getting the malfunction warning on the dash.
Old 06-01-2021, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by JDM05
My 05 developed a significant crack (drivers side) that I was relatively sure was caused from "something" striking/hitting it. 1 month later my pass side has cracked in exactly the same spot. Both span completely across the lens.

I've had moisture issues inside both before but was told "that's the way they are, they're vented". BS I say but whatever. I've also had the come and go tail/brake light issue others have mentioned here (pre cracking).

At any rate, has anyone else had these things just crack out of the clear blue? Repair consists of replacing the whole assembly.
I have had this repeating issue with my Audi A6. Audi continue to deny warranty and risponsability. So angry as every year I’m paying €2500 to replace the lights!
Old 06-01-2021, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by JDM05
Nobody else? Surely a defect. Hard to believe both of mine are shot.
Originally Posted by Wake96c4
Old thread but still relevant.

Both sides on my 05 have stress cracks, right where the clear reverse lights are. Almost like the plastic instead of being molded is pulled across the curvature of the housing shape. Very strange to see that.

Is this not a common problem as this thread is pretty small?

The driver's side light I'm afraid I'll have to replace soon. The crack has the plastic pulled out on the lower section and is now a ledge to hold water. I was parked at the airport for the last week and came out to find that side's light assembly to have about the bottom 1/3 of it filled with water. I'm afraid it won't be long until it fails.
same issue with my Audi A6. 3 times in as many years! No warranty from Audi! A disgrace fur how much I must pay yearly to replace them 🤬