A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Is their such thing as 2 glove boxes for AMI?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMI question on C6. Dealer's Quote

I am looking to get AMI installed on my 2005 A6. My dealer quotes me $2,100 for the install. I feel like that is a bit much. They said that they need to install a new glovebox as the 05 model will not fit the AMI. Is this true?

I look on genuineaudi parts and I see the same glovebox for all years. Also the retrofit kit is $800 online. I feel like I am being overcharged for both parts, labor and unnecessary parts. Can someone verify what I actually need? And around how many hours it would actually take for labor?

Thanks

Last edited by triplecore; 07-08-2010 at 09:05 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm doing it myself right now and it can be done in 1-2 hours. You can get the whole AMI kit for $775 on genuineaudiparts.
As for the glovebox, search the forum. you will find a thread about cutting out the rear opening of the glovebox to be able to slide the AMI all the way in, assuming you already have the rack in it where the CD changer sits.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by triplecore
I am looking to get AMI installed on my 2005 A6. My dealer quotes me $2,100 for the install. I feel like that is a bit much. They said that they need to install a new glovebox as the 05 model will not fit the AMI. Is this true?

I look on genuineaudi parts and I see the same glovebox for all years. Also the retrofit kit is $800 online. I feel like I am being overcharged for both parts, labor and unnecessary parts. Can someone verify what I actually need? And around how many hours it would actually take for labor?

Thanks
As I had it explained to me, there are different glove box *inserts*, with new ones running $450 (dealer)/$360 (genuineaudi). That's what led me to the Dremel route...
Old 07-09-2010, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks
You can use the slot next to the CD change for AMI but you need to cut the end of it so the AMI can slide in more and also for the electrical wires and optical cable. without a new glovebox an AMI or CD change can fit in that slot but there will be nothing to hold it in place.

Last edited by oaktreelimb; 07-12-2010 at 06:16 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by oaktreelimb
<...snip...>without a new glovebox an AMI or CD change can fit in that slot but there will be nothing to hold it in place.
Good point, reminds me of an item on my to-do list - while you have your Dremel out, you can also cut a couple of the security slots - one on each side of the right hand bay - which will allow the AMI to lock into same. Figure you can use the left bay to determine location, depth of the ones you need to cut for the right.

Haven't gotten around to it yet...it doesn't move around while the glove box is closed, else it would have moved up my list
Old 07-09-2010, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by pavils
Good point, reminds me of an item on my to-do list - while you have your Dremel out, you can also cut a couple of the security slots - one on each side of the right hand bay - which will allow the AMI to lock into same. Figure you can use the left bay to determine location, depth of the ones you need to cut for the right.

Haven't gotten around to it yet...it doesn't move around while the glove box is closed, else it would have moved up my list
A strip of carpet tape sounds simpler
Old 07-10-2010, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

thanks. Did anyone else do it at an audi dealer? how much did you guys pay?
Old 07-11-2010, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

thanks. Did anyone else do it at an audi dealer? how much did you guys pay?
I did mine myself. took awhile. If I had it to do over again I would've had someone else do it because of the amount of time and tools it took. Not the dealer though because they were adamant about the glovebox replacement. There are car audio places that'll do it though.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

IIRC, DirtyVegasTT sourced the parts himself and then had the dealer do the install.

I totally agree with landjb4u, if I had to do it all again I would have had someone else do the install for me, a quality custom audio/car electronics place or similar that would be willing to show creativity to solve the glove box issue but not go quoting 4-6 hrs to do the whole job...