A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Tick sound when turning steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tick sound when turning steering wheel

Can anyone provide any input as to why it may be doing that? It hasn't affected anything but I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Thanks,
Old 08-08-2011, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Wheel bearings. I had mine replaced at 48k under warranty. The ticking was audible at low speeds.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

You sound very positive.

Is there any drawback to not having them replaced? I'm out of warranty so any idea what the cost is to have it replaced?

Update: I did a search on the forum and I found your thread with the exact same problem. Mind filling me in on your experience? I noticed you replaced it and the sound went away and then it came back.

Thanks again!

Originally Posted by am_ver
Wheel bearings. I had mine replaced at 48k under warranty. The ticking was audible at low speeds.

Last edited by B8Lover; 08-08-2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The sound that came back was a rattling sound - those turned out to be the brake pads. The ticking was the definitely the bearings - driver side was making the noise.

Not sure about what happens if you don't replace it - I'd think at the min, the sound will get louder. Also, your wheel will experience more friction due to bad bearings... so increased engine stress and reduced mileage.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by am_ver
The sound that came back was a rattling sound - those turned out to be the brake pads. The ticking was the definitely the bearings - driver side was making the noise.

Not sure about what happens if you don't replace it - I'd think at the min, the sound will get louder. Also, your wheel will experience more friction due to bad bearings... so increased engine stress and reduced mileage.

So you only had the drivers side replaced? Can you give me an idea of how much it cost you?
Old 08-09-2011, 12:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

i had Click sound 3 years.. not getting worse.. same click as when i first heard it..
Old 08-09-2011, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

If it were me I would replace the CV boot since I cant deal with that noise but thats me. I know a good way to extend the life of a CV boot is to avoid turning the wheel all the way to lock since that stretches the boot and it eventually tears. Once it tears all the grease comes out and the bearings will get debris and run dry. Eventually the teeth can wear down and the whole CV axle will need to be replaced. Some mechanics can just repack the grease and replace the boot.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by B8Lover
So you only had the drivers side replaced? Can you give me an idea of how much it cost you?
yes, only driver side was replaced. It was covered under warranty by the dealer - cost me $0.00

CV joint failure is visible with the grease coming out off the axle - typical failure is on cars with over 100k miles. That is more of a rattling sound (I did explore the possibility that I needed new axle, but it turned out that the rattling was coming from my front brakes)
Old 08-09-2011, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I had my passenger side replaced at 48K as well and now at 55K my drivers side is ticking.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i agree with @hrc4u

Same sound for 2 years now and still the same, and not annoying enough to pay big bucks on.

Quick Reply: Tick sound when turning steering wheel