A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

TIRES TIRES TIRES

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by D's Avant
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's are ordered and should be installed by the end of next week.
Tires are installed for two days. Initial impression is very, VERY positive. Good steering feel and ride quality. Will give another update in a week or so once they are broken-in and I push them a bit. Will do another update once winter hits as well.

Very impressed with this tire coming from worn out Conti's that came on the CPO Avant.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Nice!! I've been WAITING to hear your thoughts! Talk to me about speed rating. Which speed rating did you buy? I am HEAVILY leaning towards these and looking for the best deal and am noticing the difference in price as it relates to speed rating. As you can tell, I don't buy tires often so all the input helps. THANKS!!
Old 07-20-2013, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DudeDah
Nice!! I've been WAITING to hear your thoughts! Talk to me about speed rating. Which speed rating did you buy? I am HEAVILY leaning towards these and looking for the best deal and am noticing the difference in price as it relates to speed rating. As you can tell, I don't buy tires often so all the input helps. THANKS!!
Hey DudeDah, I debated as well and went with the V-speed rating $208 a tire from Tire Rack. They do ride firmer than the Conti's, just in a you updated your shocks kind of way. Steering feel and even braking feel is so much better.

A better update in a week or so once fully broken-in.

Last edited by D's Avant; 07-20-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

So D, whadaya think?!? Almost ordered them a couple times this week. Leaning towards the V rated as well.

Would love to hear your one week review. This week could be the week for me. The ProContacts are getting LOUD.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

So D, whadaya think?!? Almost ordered them a couple times this week. Leaning towards the V rated as well.

Would love to hear your one week review. This week could be the week for me. The ProContacts are getting LOUD.
Hi, coming from the ProContacts to these, I will revise my original assessment of that they are firmer to they are firm/much more performance oriented tire vs. the touring tire with the Conti's. Duh...

Great handling tire and you can really push the car around more like my old B5 Avant. I have H&R sways which help as well. I am running the high performance tire pressures at F 35 PSI and R 33 PSI with better ride results and no impact on handling. Tired the All Season pressures at F 38 PSI and R 35 PSI and was just a bit firm on the sharp bumps. Originally ran F 39 PSI and R 39 PSI and just too firm. You could feel the front tires were over inflated/crowned with the steering feel.

If your roads are bad, go with the Conti DWS's if your roads are okay which mine are for the most part and want a much sportier tire/almost I dare say it a summer tire, go with the Sport A/S 3's.

I would buy these again in a heartbeat they handle that well, just need to adjust the tire pressures for this tire.

Last edited by D's Avant; 07-29-2013 at 05:51 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Great info! I have ProContacts on there now with only 4/32 left on 26,000 miles. Continental is letting me down a little because they won't cover until the "legally bald measurement of 2/32 in NJ". It may be a long winter for me if I can't get the final tread down .
Old 07-30-2013, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well...I think I am going to go and order these tires tonight. The Y-rating would only be stiffer with shorter tread life correct? Our roads are pretty decent here so I guess the V are the way to go...?
Old 07-30-2013, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well...I think I am going to go and order these tires tonight. The Y-rating would only be stiffer with shorter tread life correct? Our roads are pretty decent here so I guess the V are the way to go...?
You could always try the H rating tire, speeds up to 130 mph. I wouldn't go with the Y rated ones as, they may be slightly stiffer. I have always run V rated or higher tires on all of my cars over the years. I would buy theses tires again with the V rating is all I can really say, just play with the tire pressure some.

They are really a well balanced and sportier tire that handles as well as the Conti DW summer tires my wife runs in the warmer months. They handle that good.

Last edited by D's Avant; 07-31-2013 at 04:34 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Done. Bought 'em tonight. V's.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Done. Bought 'em tonight. V's.
Cool... You will like them I'm sure. Let us know what you think of them too.

Last edited by D's Avant; 07-31-2013 at 05:15 AM.

Quick Reply: TIRES TIRES TIRES