A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

TIRES TIRES TIRES

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 06:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Goodyear Eagle GT's are a low cost excellent choice.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

DRAMA!!

So, I go and order the V-Rated tire from NTB (National Tire and Battery, not sure how NATIONAL they are, but just for the sake of the story), put a little money down and sign up for their financing just to take a little of the bite out. Get a call from them yesterday letting me know the earliest they can get the tire is another week and is that ok? I reply "YEP! I've got another week of tread left" so no problem. I get a call from them this morning that says the order keeps getting kicked back and that Michelin has an agreement with OTHER retailers NOT to sell the V-rated tire to NTB and they can't get it but offer me the Y-rated for the same price (a WHOPPING $3/tire savings).

So the questions is, should I get the Y-rated or go somewhere else for the V? Price is $226 with all the goodies.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I got the Hankook h437 all season hp.They corner and handle GREAT! Nice comfortable very quiet ride! The most quiet tire Ive had on my a6! Got them from Discount tire $88 I cant complain!
Old 08-01-2013, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 147 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by DudeDah
DRAMA!!

So, I go and order the V-Rated tire from NTB (National Tire and Battery, not sure how NATIONAL they are...

So the questions is, should I get the Y-rated or go somewhere else for the V? Price is $226 with all the goodies.
Go somewhere else.

I have had mostly very poor experiences with NTBs in New England. They seem to hire the techs that other shops won't.

I pay a bit more at a top chain in New England, watch them carefully, recheck their work (they got the tire pressures wrong on my new DWS install), and refuse all offers of mechanical work.

In turn, they take pretty good care of me with free winter/summer changeover and rebalancing...
Old 08-02-2013, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DudeDah
DRAMA!!

So, I go and order the V-Rated tire from NTB (National Tire and Battery, not sure how NATIONAL they are, but just for the sake of the story), put a little money down and sign up for their financing just to take a little of the bite out. Get a call from them yesterday letting me know the earliest they can get the tire is another week and is that ok? I reply "YEP! I've got another week of tread left" so no problem. I get a call from them this morning that says the order keeps getting kicked back and that Michelin has an agreement with OTHER retailers NOT to sell the V-rated tire to NTB and they can't get it but offer me the Y-rated for the same price (a WHOPPING $3/tire savings).

X2 on go somewhere else... What about what makes sense for and what the customer wants? You want to purchase a brand and tire with a particular speed rating. They offer this brand and tire and now say they cannot sell you a V rated tire due to some agreement with the manufacture. Not customer focused at all.

If you want the V rated tire, I would just order it from Tire Rack and have it dropped shipped to a recommended/top rated installer.

Y rated??? If yes just get it from them, just do not see the need for that high of a speed rating on our cars in an all season tire.

I would just do what seems to be the best fit for you. You will like the tire in the end they are that good.

Last edited by D's Avant; 08-02-2013 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Called last night to change my order and fortunately got the manager. He said he may have a way to get the V-rated and he would call me back the following day (today). He called this morning to tell me he was able to get a set of the V-rated tires and would have them a full week sooner than I was quoted earlier so they'll be here MONDAY.