A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Too much ATF?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 12:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too much ATF?

Guys,

The car is C6 A6 3.2 Quattro. The transmission is ZF 6HP19A. The tranny goes in limp/safe mode after 100 yards, so I decided to check the ATF level. I placed the car on jacks, brought the transmission to 35 degrees, put it in Park and opened the fill plug. Oil started coming out like crazy. I got half a litre out and put the plug back in. I decided not to wait until 40-45 degrees (per manual) since even more fluid would come out.

My question is how/why can this transmission be overfilled?! Even if you fill it at 0 degrees, I don't think you can get this much oil in. Can overfilling put it in limp mode? Could it be that the pump is faling and not sucking oil? Does the pump actually suck the oil or is it lubricated by the rotation of the gears?

Should I let all the excess oil come out? What can I do here? I need some advice badly!!!
Old 02-12-2011, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 917 Likes on 750 Posts

Did you recently change the ATF? How many miles since it was changed? How many miles on the car?
Old 02-12-2011, 01:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I recently got the car and can't tell if it was ever replaced - it does look dark (black). Car has around 70K on it.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I assume you have a VAG-Com. Did you check the transmission for any codes.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes - P0735 & P0736. If I force it and drive like this (after numerous engine restarts) I will get a P0741 as well.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sticknstock
Yes - P0735 & P0736. If I force it and drive like this (after numerous engine restarts) I will get a P0741 as well.
my tranny went safe mode couple of times too... i was told. low battery...and now shifts hard and acts up.. i dont know wtf is wrong , i got 95K on ....
Old 02-12-2011, 03:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sticknstock
Improper gear ratios for 5th gear and reverse gear and torque converter issue. How many miles have you driven the car since purchasing it and was it a private or dealer deal?
Old 02-12-2011, 03:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm well familiar with the codes and not intereted in taking it back. Any ideas on why is there so much extra ATF draining out?
Old 02-12-2011, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 164 Likes on 118 Posts

I believe that the tranny fluid should be blue or green depending on the year of the car. So the fact that it is black is not good. Perhaps it is burnt or someone filled it with the wrong fluid.

The pump is on the input shaft behind the torque converter. It pull fluid from the pan and lubricates and pressurizes the hydraulics. It is a gear type pump.

To properly check the fluid the engine must be running in idle and the fluid between 35 and 45C. This makes sure that the pump has filled the tranny with fluid. If you open the drain and the engine is not running then you will get a large amount of fluid out of the drain.

Here are the instructions for filling.

Remove the ATF inspection plug - arrow B - .
Guide the filler hook of the ATF filler tool VAG 1924 into the opening - arrow - of protective cap, do not push the cap up and in while doing so.
Add the ATF using the ATF filler tool VAG 1924 until ATF drips from the inspection opening.
Place the selector lever in the "P" position.
Start the engine and switch off again after 20 seconds.
Once more, add ATF using the ATF filler tool V.A.G 1924 until ATF drips from the inspection opening.
Start the engine.
Continue adding ATF using the ATF filler tool V.A.G 1924 until ATF drips from the inspection opening again.
Tighten the ATF inspection plug.
With the engine idling, press the brake pedal and shift the selector lever through all the selector lever positions, leaving the selector lever in each position for at least 10 seconds.
Place the selector lever in the "N" position.
Increase the engine speed to 2000 RPM and maintain for at least 60 seconds.
Place the selector lever in the "P" position.
Check the ATF level and top off.
Attached Images  

Last edited by SchwarzS6; 02-12-2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You are correct - it shouldn't be black. My transmission should be filled with yellow fluid since it has the initial software release. I'm not on blue yet as that would require the software to be flashed.

Here are the instructions I followed (combined with the Elsawin instructions from another user): http://www.zf.com/na/content/media/u...9A_Catalog.pdf

Please note that the instructions are per the manufacturer of the transmission.

Quick Reply: Too much ATF?