A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

TPMS issue...Tire POPPED today!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TPMS issue...Tire POPPED today!

Hello All,

About a year ago my TPMS starting acting up and kept giving me the flat/low tire pressure signal. After 2-3 visits to the dealer they finally got it fixed. I just passed over 50k today, 50,120 and while driving down the freeway my rear left tire made a loud "CLUNK" noise and I had to pull over...sure enough the tire was leveled on the ground...NO TPMS light???

I took it to a dealer today and told them the problem they took a look and said they found NO FAULTS in the system. I said ok, well I have a flat tire in my trunk that has a TPMS sensor on it...yet no fault...is that normal?

They told me that the system only pings the four tires on the car and not the one in the trunk like the A8???? Anyone know anything about this? Even if that is the case, when I pulled over with a flat tire the sensor should have been on?

Don't know what to believe...please help?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-21-2009, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont know whats true but i had the same issue. brought it to the dealer and they told me it was my spare. u can never get a straight answer from any of the dealerships. i have two dealerships in my area that give me different quotes on parts. go figure
Old 07-21-2009, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ye when they fixed mine last year they said the same thing...it was the spare...
Old 07-21-2009, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

take it to a shop that is certified to do the audi service. you'll get a better answer
Old 07-21-2009, 10:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ye when they fixed mine last year they said the same thing...it was the spare... "
------------------------------------------------------------------

That's a BS answer because in our cars the spare is not monitored.

The other four wheels send out a "ping" while the vehicle is in motion. This occurs over a certain speed and at set intervals. The sensors not constantly transmitting the pressure. They are supposed to transmit immediately in an under-pressure situation(I think???).

In an effort to test my TPMS I once bled off all the air in one of my tires(while stationary),NO light came on. A few weeks later I picked up a nail in one of my tires while driving ,and the flat tire light DID come on.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Eric5412
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ye when they fixed mine last year they said the same thing...it was the spare... "
------------------------------------------------------------------

That's a BS answer because in our cars the spare is not monitored.

The other four wheels send out a "ping" while the vehicle is in motion. This occurs over a certain speed and at set intervals. The sensors not constantly transmitting the pressure. They are supposed to transmit immediately in an under-pressure situation(I think???).

In an effort to test my TPMS I once bled off all the air in one of my tires(while stationary),NO light came on. A few weeks later I picked up a nail in one of my tires while driving ,and the flat tire light DID come on.

Thanks for that bit, Eric...that is what this last service adviser said...so I am glad that I am getting some independent confirmation of this...Either way, since I've put on the spare...I keep getting the:

"Tyre pressure system malfunction"

message...perhaps the spare tire does not have tpms? I dunno...If I go to the "change wheels" in teh MMI it temporarily goes away.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

doesnt it calculate tire pressure via rotation. on our lexus it doesnt directly measure tire pressure like on some cars
Old 07-22-2009, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Slightly off topic here: TPMS is a standard that is ineffective and not fully a standard. It doesn't really accomplish what it was set out to do and is an expensive requirement going forward. The automotive training folks are really upset about this legislative addition to our cars. I'm happy I was able to get my car without it!
Old 07-24-2009, 01:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sinpolio
Thanks for that bit, Eric...that is what this last service adviser said...so I am glad that I am getting some independent confirmation of this...Either way, since I've put on the spare...I keep getting the:

"Tyre pressure system malfunction"

message...perhaps the spare tire does not have tpms? I dunno...If I go to the "change wheels" in teh MMI it temporarily goes away.
I get that messege almost every morning within 100 yards of the same spot on a lonely stretch of highway. All of my tires are properly inflated, and this has been happening for about a year, even with a change of tires and tpms sensors. That is the only time it occurs, too... Sometimes I wonder if there is a malfunctioning radio transmitter hiding in the grass around there.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Father_Flanagan
I get that messege almost every morning within 100 yards of the same spot on a lonely stretch of highway. All of my tires are properly inflated, and this has been happening for about a year, even with a change of tires and tpms sensors. That is the only time it occurs, too... Sometimes I wonder if there is a malfunctioning radio transmitter hiding in the grass around there.

This is what I was told my my dealer. I think they're full of **** , but I have been unable to prove it.

Quick Reply: TPMS issue...Tire POPPED today!