A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Trunk pops open when closed

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 09:40 AM
bal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trunk pops open when closed

I'm having this rather odd issue with the trunk on my 2008 A6 sedan. It has been there since the beginning as far as I can tell but it has taken me a while to rule out various potential culprits.
What happens is that when I close the trunk with my key in my pocket, it pops back open. It latches but then opens again as if it has been unlatched.
Since I usually close the trunk with my hand on the opening handle, I thought that I was perhaps inadvertently pressing the release button, but I'm not.
Then I thought that perhaps the trunk release button on the key in my pocked was being depressed accidentally, but it isn't.
I read about people experiencing something similar in cold weather (and we are certainly having cold weather up here in Seattle) but even in the middle of the day when it has warmed up it seems to happen.
Unfortunately, this issue isn't 100% repeatable but it does seem to be more prone to happening when my hand is near the rubber trunk handle where the release switch is, which makes me wonder if there's some interaction between the key in my pocket and my hand on or near the release mechanism since if I move my hand to say the left edge of the trunk, it seems to stay closed.
I should try doing all this without the electronic key on me, but this isn't terribly practical.
Anyone seen this behaviour before?
Old 01-31-2008, 10:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: To prevent locking the key in the trunk, it is designed not to lock if it senses a key inside.

Perhaps the key in your pocket is triggering the proximity sensor which thinks your key is inside and the truck is responding by unlatching.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:38 AM
bal

Default Re: To prevent locking the key in the trunk, it is designed not to lock if it senses a key inside.

Really good point. I'll stand further back and see what happens. Any idea how sensitive the proximity sensor is?
Old 01-31-2008, 11:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: I don't know how sensitive the sensor is...

...but the salesman demonstrated the antilock feature when he delivered my 2007 S6. Left key in trunk and shut lid. Trunk closed and then unlocked - just as you describe.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Trunk pops open when closed

This happens to me every once in a while. I found that if I hold the key outside the trunk about level with the top of the bumper, it will do the lock-unlock behavior.

So I suspect it's the sensor and depends on variables such as where I happen to be standing, how deep the key is in my pocket, etc.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default hmm...

this could be it. as usually when this happens to me, I have already moved to the side of the car then the trunk pops and have to walk to the rear to shut it again.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default It only happens when the car is locked.

Either lock the car after you close the trunk.

...or stand with the key further from the car. You'll get the hang of it.

John
Old 02-03-2008, 09:42 AM
bal

That seems to be what it is. I've been consciously keeping further away from the bumper when I close the trunk. We'll see if it reoccurs.