A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

UK: A6 C6 , MMI LCD = dead , upgraded to Android, still dead, help me, obi wan!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2021, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UK: A6 C6 , MMI LCD = dead , upgraded to Android, still dead, help me, obi wan!

Hi Audi world community, new member here (new audi owner)

I bought an A6 C6, drove it home in February, everything was working, wake up next morning, I kid you not, the LCD mmi unit was bricked, it would not come on at all!, no radio, additionally the control for the MMI did not light up.

I took it to an electrician, he did a scan and found nothing wrong.

I thought to myself, screw it, let's upgrade the system to an android system, as I didn't want to buy the OEM stock Audi one as its to dated to be useful.

I ordered this one : https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...38403e5f8w1Em8

The tutorials online, shows the aftermarket android unit plugging to an MMI control unit, my car does not have that, instead, I have a MMI head unit (with two SD card readers in the glowbox) the cables from the aftermarket unit will not fit in to it.

The cable does fit in to the canbus gateway module and I can then daisy-chain the original canbus gateway module cable.

The (now android) mmi will not come on (seems to be the same issue as the original stock one)

I googled/youtubed, a bit and found that the control panel sometimes go

es, so I ordered and provided the electrician with a new circuit board for the control panel (4F1919611R) he installed it, but still no luck

I have also attached a copy of the scan, i'm hoping you guys have some ideas. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you

Car : 2009 A6 3.0 Quattro
Old 04-06-2021, 11:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Just to update people in case it helps others or other can help me .

The optics are fine, we can checks with VCDS and Vw Odis (official diagnostics tool)

What we have noticed is that we can not get in and check sub components within the head unit itself 4F0035061.

I did order a second hand part of ebay : 4F0035061 but that has the same issues, i'm not sure now if the ebay part is also faulty or if its something else in the car.

I've ordered a second unit off ebay, but am happy to take suggestions, Ideally I don't want to start wiretracing, would be great if someone around north London had the same car, I could then plug my unit in to it to see if the unit is good or not, happy to compensate for the time.

Thanks
Old 04-07-2021, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

At the risk of insulting anyone I just wanted to be sure you were aware that the volume **** on the center console turns power to the MMI on and off but there is also the switch above the glovebox release that can shut just the display of while allowing audio to continue. Further, the time required to push on the volume **** to activate the MMI is configurable through the green service menu if a VCDS is not available.
Old 04-07-2021, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jonzie77
At the risk of insulting anyone I just wanted to be sure you were aware that the volume **** on the center console turns power to the MMI on and off but there is also the switch above the glovebox release that can shut just the display of while allowing audio to continue. Further, the time required to push on the volume **** to activate the MMI is configurable through the green service menu if a VCDS is not available.

I am not at all insulted, I came to you guys for help, so I appreciate anything you can suggest. I have had the car diagnoised with VCDS and the Odis Vw software, in both cases i am unable to access the radio unit module, it does however flag as ok, the optics flag as ok, but when i go in to the module itself, it wont let me in, it hangs then times out, i am able to access other modules.

I do not believe it is a power on/off issue related to the lcd as the lights on the control unit next to the gearbox do not illuminate, this implies that the issue is something else, I did suspect it may be the circuit of the control unit, so I had that swapped out with a new one, still no illumination.

Thank you for attempting to help, let me know if I can provide any further clarity please

Old 04-07-2021, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 159 Likes on 141 Posts

My Center volume **** only mutes the sound, does not turn off the MMI.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Sallad, I don't want to derail this thread but I find that unusual. Like I mentioned above there are settings for the function in the service menu and somewhere in one of the modules (radio?). On mine I have to hold it down for 2-3 seconds but it definitely shuts off. Sometimes my wife inadvertently rests her pocketbook on it and it shuts off as well but if I push it for no more than a second it will mute as you suggested. As for Ramsey, it seems clear that the control module for the MMI is getting power or it wouldn't pass the optical signal. I would think that this implies that it is the module itself but I have not personally experienced it. I don't believe the optical link is used for anything but audio but I am not sure. Since you added that VCDS could not apparently talk to the module, that is another clue that it is probably faulty. If it were my car I would remove the module and loo inside for bad solder joints or burned components. If those cannot be identified and repaired a new(used) module would be in order.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 365 Likes on 306 Posts

@Sallad like @jonzie77 said, the volume **** is supposed to be used to mute the volume by quickly pressing on it but also to turn off the MMI by holding the press a little longer. When the MMI is off, to turn it back on you just do a quick press on it again.

@ramseya81 watch the video below. Hopefully it will help.

Old 04-08-2021, 01:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you guys for the tips, with regards to it being muted or turned of it's not.

Kelisko, thanks for that video, i saw it already along with several others, but my problem is slightly different

1 ) i dont have a sirius module in the car, but also, this chaps MMI screen does come on, it then goes off, mine doesn't come on at all at any stage.

If it helps, this guy has the exact same problem, he even has the exact same car as me!:

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/aud...d-plea-230373/

I did buy a second hand radio unit (4F0035061) from ebay, i replaced the one in the boot, but it didnt help, I have bought a second one off ebay now, hoping that perhaps the one i bought was faulty, i'm waiting for it to arrive.

Last edited by ramseya81; 04-08-2021 at 01:45 AM. Reason: added more details.
Old 04-08-2021, 03:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 365 Likes on 306 Posts

If the replacement radio unit does not solve the problem, I suggest you bypass one by one each MMI module as shown in the video above for the Sirius module using a loopback connector. Could be Bluetooth, CD Changer, Primary BOSE Amplifier, Navigation or the Display Screen itself. Good luck!
Old 04-08-2021, 03:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kelisko
If the replacement radio unit does not solve the problem, I suggest you bypass one by one each MMI module as shown in the video above for the Sirius module using a loopback connector. Could be Bluetooth, CD Changer, Primary BOSE Amplifier, Navigation or the Display Screen itself. Good luck!
Thank you, funny thing is there is, there is only one module for all multimedia, sat-nav, radio (its all in the same radio module 4F0035061) in the facelift model.

Quick Reply: UK: A6 C6 , MMI LCD = dead , upgraded to Android, still dead, help me, obi wan!