A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

UK: Heavy steering after fluid change.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2021, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UK: Heavy steering after fluid change.

Hi all, new Audi owner here.
I bought a 2010 A6 C6 Avant 3.0TDI LeMans Quattro few weeks ago as my second family car. About a week later when I had time to actually drive it I noticed that power steering pump made a whine after doing 180° on small roundabout. I knew it's a symptom of low fluid so I checked it and found it was well below the MIN. So I started researching the fluid it uses and that's where it got confusing. It states on the cap ONLY MINERAL HYDRAULIC FLUID G002000. So I looked it up and some time ago Audi abandoned mineral oil and that part number is now a synthetic fluid. And at that point I obviously had no idea what was actually inside, mineral from the factory or perhaps it was replaced at some point and it's synthetic. Obviously, I didn't want to end up mixing the two so I decided to do a full fluid flush. And to stay true to what a cap says I bough a few litres of mineral FEBI 06162 which a lot of fellow Audi owners use in these cars without problem. Done a full flush twice and the level holds nicely with color true to clean out of the bottle (green). Drove it and initally all was perfect. But today I made another trip (about 20miles) and at one point while sitting in traffic I realized that steering seems a lot heavier. There's still assistance and the wheels return to centre when turning. Also, I went full lock both ways while stationary and sometimes it's lighter and other time it feels heavier. The pump also "bounces back" when I hit full lock. I checked the level when I got home and it's still bang on, no leaks and the liquid is clean. Any idea what can be causing that? Micro air bubbles in fluid or something? Perhaps previous fluid was synthetic and the rack now doesn't "like" the mineral fluid? I'm a bit worried at the moment cause last thing I want is to kill the pump/rack. Any advice is highly appreciated!

And once again, welcome to you all!

Old 10-11-2021, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Update:
Took it for a quick run to the shop and steering was fine while fluid was cold. As soon as it went back up to temperature steering bacame heavy again. So looks like temperature is a factor here.
Old 10-11-2021, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I used Amazon CHF 11S Pentosyn:

Amazon Amazon
Old 10-11-2021, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 391 Likes on 352 Posts

Luk, that's definitely the wrong fluid. As beeps notes, you need to be using CHF 11S. The fluid you've selected, CHF 7.1 (mineral), is for much older cars.

Description:

Pentosin CHF 7.1 is a high performance hydraulic fluid, formulated with mineral base oils, for life-time lubrication in older/vintage vehicle aggregates. It serves in power steering systems, shock absorber, automatic level control and other chassis suspension systems. Pentosin CHF 7.1 is NOT miscible with modern high performance hydraulic fluids such as the Pentosin CHF 11S or CHF 202.
Old 10-11-2021, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Pentosin - Hydraulic Fluid

I looked at our 2006 A6 wagon and I think your part number is correct, our filler cap shows the same part number. Problem is, that part number shown on the filler cap is missing "A2" at the end of it. The part number on the filler cap should read G 002 000 A2.
Old 10-11-2021, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Mine defo doesn't have A2 at the end. I ordered some 11s to replace what's inside now. You guys reckon that's what causing it to be heavy once warmed up? If that is the wrong fluid, will there be any damage to the rack given I only did about 60miles on it total or I should get away with it if I change it tomorrow?
Old 10-11-2021, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

My cap is the same, Luk. I don't know why they show the MINERAL reference.

Pentosin says you can never mix the two different fluids. VW issued a TSB saying it's OK to mix. Go figure...

Flush the fluid, hope for the best. We can also access the newest product called Pentosin CHF 202. It's a bit cheaper than the CHF 11S. Pentosin says the Mineral fluid is no long produced.
Old 10-11-2021, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Will 3,5ltrs be enough to do a proper flush?
Old 10-11-2021, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Luk4shO
Will 3,5ltrs be enough to do a proper flush?
the whole system needs a half-a-littre of fluid. so a gallon of fluid should be pretty enough to flush everything out. you can disconnect the return pipe from the bottom of the power steering radiator at the bottom. It helps to get everything out of the system.
Old 10-11-2021, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by beep-beep
the whole system needs a half-a-littre of fluid. so a gallon of fluid should be pretty enough to flush everything out. you can disconnect the return pipe from the bottom of the power steering radiator at the bottom. It helps to get everything out of the system.
Use that instead of return on the tank or as well as? Cause I'm sick of playing with that tank, so little room. If jacking the car up and doing it from the bottom is easier I'll do that then

Quick Reply: UK: Heavy steering after fluid change.