A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

upgrading my 2008 A6 w/MMI to have nav, Bluetooth, rearview camera, Sat radio

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 01:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upgrading my 2008 A6 w/MMI to have nav, Bluetooth, rearview camera, Sat radio

Hello, I am considering to buy a used high mileage 2008 A6 avant and plan to upgrade the MMI to have nav, Bluetooth, rearview camera, Sat radio. Presently it does not have these functions (came from factory without), but has the dash screen and joystick below the shifter.

I have read a post here where someone described simply obtaining and installing the Audi DVD navigation hardware and connecting (with a fakra cable) to the already existing GPS antenna in the Shark fin, and everything basically worked, without recoding and without drama. I just want to confirm if anyone else has had this same successful experience on an a6 that has MMI but came from the factory without navigation, or if this experience is only successful on cars that came from the factory with navigation but for some reason the navigation with later removed and then replaced again.

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-01-2014, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello. I did this upgrade in my 2006 with MMI 2g High.

I simply installed the navigation dvd player into the harness in the back.
I didn't use the antenna in the fin though as I didn't have the harness to connect to it. I simply purchased a cheap gps antenna from amazon.com and left it in that same compartment with the gps unit. I have had absolutely NO issues with reception. It has instant location at all times.

And here is the gps antenna I used

Amazon.com: PORSCHE VW BMW AUDI Compatible GPS NAVIGATION ANTENNA MAGNETIC GPS NAV ANT: GPS & Navigation Amazon.com: PORSCHE VW BMW AUDI Compatible GPS NAVIGATION ANTENNA MAGNETIC GPS NAV ANT: GPS & Navigation

Edit: Oops. Just realized how old this post was.
Old 01-29-2024, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

With apologies for resurrecting a truly ancient thread, I'm hoping somebody can help a newbie....

I have a similar issue to what other people have described on my 2012 A5. On checking the number of satellites being received there was a big fat 0, so I've sourced a replacement antenna off Amazon, and it is now showing as 4-6 satellites being received - which I believe should be enough for a precise GPS fix? Despite this though the navigation system is still showing me as being 10-15 miles away (roughly where the system had me placed before I replaced the antenna).

I've tried rebooting the MMI system and going for a drive for 10 mins or so to see if that would help the GPS system to realise it was slightly out, but I'm out of ideas on what else could be wrong - or what I can do to resolve them!

Can anybody please assist with any suggestions for what else might be wrong? Thanks in advance for any advice / assistance!
Old 02-04-2024, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxxx
Hello, I am considering to buy a used high mileage 2008 A6 avant and plan to upgrade the MMI to have nav, Bluetooth, rearview camera, Sat radio. Presently it does not have these functions (came from factory without), but has the dash screen and joystick below the shifter.

I have read a post here where someone described simply obtaining and installing the Audi DVD navigation hardware and connecting (with a fakra cable) to the already existing GPS antenna in the Shark fin, and everything basically worked, without recoding and without drama. I just want to confirm if anyone else has had this same successful experience on an a6 that has MMI but came from the factory without navigation, or if this experience is only successful on cars that came from the factory with navigation but for some reason the navigation with later removed and then replaced again.

Thanks in advance!
Upgrade by all means, but if I were you. I'd just replace the screen with an Android unit. I plan to do this in coming months with my 2008 C6 with a screen that looks similar to the C7, only it doesnt fold away. It will ve 12.5 inches large and I plan to install front and rear cameras along with it.
I do videos on YouTube on how to dobthings yourself for your car. My YouTube name is Carfan.
I will also be upgrading the headlights with TT style headlights with drls and LEDs.
Old 03-01-2024, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Did you do the conversion? Looking to do the same and I am not sure which Android screen to get.
Old 03-02-2024, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Viking10
With apologies for resurrecting a truly ancient thread, I'm hoping somebody can help a newbie....

I have a similar issue to what other people have described on my 2012 A5. On checking the number of satellites being received there was a big fat 0, so I've sourced a replacement antenna off Amazon, and it is now showing as 4-6 satellites being received - which I believe should be enough for a precise GPS fix? Despite this though the navigation system is still showing me as being 10-15 miles away (roughly where the system had me placed before I replaced the antenna).

I've tried rebooting the MMI system and going for a drive for 10 mins or so to see if that would help the GPS system to realise it was slightly out, but I'm out of ideas on what else could be wrong - or what I can do to resolve them!

Can anybody please assist with any suggestions for what else might be wrong? Thanks in advance for any advice / assistance!
You are in the wrong forum, you need to be posting in the A5 forums.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...cabrio-b8-125/
Old 04-18-2024, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.crutchfield.com/car/cars...r%2fmycar.aspx