A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 09-02-2016, 02:22 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

valve cover gasket replacement in 2005 A6 C6

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 06:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to beat this dead horse, but my wife's A6 was diagnosed with this problem too, and while I'm not afraid to tear into it and do the work, I want to know what I'm getting into with it.

Does anybody have any documented instructions on the teardown to get to the valve covers?

I have visions of taking stuff apart and not being able to put it all back together or me doing something stupid and breaking plastic parts that cause me nothing but grief later. I can't have my wife's car out of commission very long, but an afternoon for this (and a sparkplug/oil change) is okay.

And where did everybody order the parts from? Dealer? Online source? I do have the 3.2L engine (2005).
Old 01-13-2014, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

I know the feeling. After replacing the valve cover, which was badly needed as there was oil where the spark plugs were, and I thought the rear oil
leak was coming from the valve cover.
After replacing the valve cover, I still have oil leak from the passenger side front, may be the cam seals? I don't know.
Just have to be careful and patience.
I bought the parts from genuineaudiparts.com as I wanted to use OE for
valve cover.
Good Luck
Old 01-13-2014, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Name:  NewPicture_zpsa0155a2e.jpg
Views: 8656
Size:  78.8 KB

Name:  NewPicture1_zps971f5770.jpg
Views: 8982
Size:  85.6 KB

Name:  NewPicture2_zps52ef524a.jpg
Views: 9296
Size:  70.2 KB

Name:  NewPicture3_zps7c26f0c9.jpg
Views: 8490
Size:  59.3 KB
Old 01-14-2014, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

I did not have disconnect some of the sensors as it says here one has to, in my 2005 A6 C6. There was oil around 4 spark plugs but spark plugs were dry. So, it badly needed new valve cover gaskets.
I did torque it down to 9NM using my 1/4" Snap On torque wrench which came in handy.
I still have small oil leak in the passenger side from the top, may be
it is the camshaft seal? And also another oil leak from the rear.
The car has 107K miles.
Am using Mobil 1 5W-40, wondering if I should go to heavier weight synthetic to reduce the oil leak? Am in South Texas, and it gets pretty hot up here in the summers.
Any suggestions?
Old 01-14-2014, 08:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for those steps R1racer! Much appreciated!

I sure hope this fixes the issue. It seems to be driver front where the leak seems to pool, based on my following the oil back from the underside, but who knows where all that wind/motion moves it...
Old 01-29-2014, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hey Raj - What color RTV did you use? Blue or black. Any specific product (permatex?) - link will be great. I don't think Bentley manual mentions anything about using a gasket sealant.

Are other folks using sealant or not while replacing the gasket - I know r1racer didn't put any. Any issues r1racer because of not using sealant?

Originally Posted by raj99
I did this about 9 month ago. You just remove whatever is above the valve covers, the wiring to the coilpacks, then the nuts that hold down the valve cover gaskets. When installing new gaskets, make sure to place a dab of RTV in the corners of the arcs of the gasket. This would be a good time to take out the spark plugs to check if oil has seeped in the spark plug columns. If it has, clean out with old microfiber rag (this is about all this rag is going to be used for after this) to pick up all debris in the columns.

Installation is the reverse of the removal.

The only caveat that I'll add is make sure you have the RIGHT tool(s). In fact one thing which was worth its weight in gold was an adapter at the end of the socket extension which allowed 360 degree swiveling and thereby allowed me to reach the bolts which were otherwise near inaccessible.

Just make sure you remove ALL the bolts, and then gently tap the valve cover and it should release very easily.

I did this job in combination with a number of others, but this a job that should you want to change your air filter and spark plugs...well now would be THE perfect time to do so. Also, make sure you clean out the snow screen when you do the air filter.

Oh BTW, here's the quick DIY: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...gaskets+swivel

Last edited by am_ver; 01-30-2014 at 07:51 AM.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No leaks so far. I pulled the plugs a couple of weeks ago to make sure the cam seals (or whatever the gasket in the head is called) weren't leaking too. It was the just valve cover.

Last edited by r1racer; 01-29-2014 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 202 Likes on 173 Posts

[QUOTE=am_ver;24535293]Hey Raj - What color RTV did you use? Blue or black. Any specific product (permatex?) - link will be great...QUOTE]

I had the Black and used actual Audi stuff, which I think might just be rebranded Permatex, but the exterior of the tube actually had the Audi logo on it. Hope that helps. you don't need a lot, just dab on the corners to ensure a good seal. I've had NO leaks either since I did the valve cover job. BTW, while you're at it, make sure you do the air filter and if it's time for the plugs, get those done as well. And don't forget the snow filter up front.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did this on the driver's side (US) last week. Pretty simple task. Took exactly one hour from start to finish. The only difficult part was trying to remove the ventilation tube. I just left it on and twisted the valve cover around so I can rip the old one out and place the new one on.

I'm not sure where people are putting the RTV.. As stated by R1Racer, the original gasket does not need additional sealant. I have no issues not using it.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I did the side where the coolant reservoir is located. The row of screws on the lowest side was hard to get to. I checked again after a couple of days and there was oil in the screw heads on the lower row. Guess they were not tightened all the way - so stopped at pepboys (while on the way skiing), and tightened all of them a bit more. I think I might have stripped one a little though

Quick Reply: valve cover gasket replacement in 2005 A6 C6