A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Video of Cold Surge Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rory
Oh hereeee we go.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:54 PM
Cat Herder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

torque converter issues are usually the kiss of death for Audis out of warranty.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Are you saying the car is expected to have more problems even though they have replaced the Torque converter?

Originally Posted by pierreb
torque converter issues are usually the kiss of death for Audis out of warranty.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:14 PM
Cat Herder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by am_ver
Are you saying the car is expected to have more problems even though they have replaced the Torque converter?
not at all. what i meant was that, as you can tell from the out-of-warranty replacement cost, an audi will usually be put to sleep instead of getting its converter replaced.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

aah... pheww... thanks for clearing that up!

Originally Posted by pierreb
not at all. what i meant was that, as you can tell from the out-of-warranty replacement cost, an audi will usually be put to sleep instead of getting its converter replaced.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

I am having the same issue. The dealership has been diagnosing this for the last 2 weeks with no success. My question is, was the cold surge issue resolved by the torque converter and transmission fluid change?
Old 09-26-2009, 09:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

NO, not fully. Things did seem to improve after the TQ converter was replaced, but the surging still persists. I took the case up with AoA, made several trips to the dealer, but no fix. Car went out of warranty with the issue unresolved. AoA chose to ignore me after that. very disappointing.

Originally Posted by milan_o
I am having the same issue. The dealership has been diagnosing this for the last 2 weeks with no success. My question is, was the cold surge issue resolved by the torque converter and transmission fluid change?
Old 09-27-2009, 04:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by am_ver
NO, not fully. Things did seem to improve after the TQ converter was replaced, but the surging still persists. I took the case up with AoA, made several trips to the dealer, but no fix. Car went out of warranty with the issue unresolved. AoA chose to ignore me after that. very disappointing.
May I make a suggestion? When I used to have 2001 Nissan Maxima, I've met numerous people who had the same surging issues and they were directly related to the throttle body. In the Nissan world, this surging was known as the IACV failing (Idle Air Control Valve). When it fails, the car's RPMs would just surge up and down no matter if the car was parked or driving.

I don't know what the equivalent would be in Audi, but I say start by inspecting the throttle body and its components.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

I got the car back and did a test drive this morning. The cold surge issue when going downhill is gone. The last thing that was done was to replace the torque converter and change the transmission fluid.

I fortunately got this done under warranty and would likely have not been able to get this resolved without the help of am_ver's posts.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

My car is now fixed. The torque converter has been replaced and transmission fluid changed.

I was able to have this replaced under warranty and would probably not been able to get this fixed without the information that am_ver posted in this thread.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Video of Cold Surge Issue