A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Video of Cold Surge Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtyVegasTT
With that many miles on it and with the repairs you are looking at, how about trading it in before you hit 6 figures on the odometer and get something else? If that is an option of course, and if it wasn't it is certainly worth a consideration IMHO.

Seems like you would be in for over $5K for both tranny and TQ converter. Sounds like you will need both. Between the trade and the money you're looking at for repairs you may have a good down. Just a thought...
Yea, totally with you on this. I was going to trade this car in for something earlier year but guess what I ended up looking at.... the newer A6. Not only that, I was looking into getting a newer A6 with the exact color (Black/Amaretto). Both my parents and gf thought I was smoking at the diner table when I told them that. I ended up keeping this car and planned to keep her until the new 750i Xdrive's price drop to some reasonable mark and make the move. (yea, i know. The 750i is to my gf's liking.)

My uncle used to own several body shop/car repair center in MA & CT. With his help, I was able to locate a used transmission (came off a used 06 A6 with less 20k miles). Getting it through him, I will have to pay $2300 with shipping. My next move is either to have the dealer replace the torque converter and sell the car out or replace the transmission and keep her. I'm leaning toward the second option at this moments. I did spend 2 hrs looking through different cars last night and yea, Audi A6 is still the best looking vehicle in my mind. (750i xdrive price is dropping fast, i will definitely save a lot more waiting out for a year or so)
Old 12-29-2010, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6
Just spoke with Nat at Eriksson Industries in Old Saybrook, CT. They are a factory authorized ZF transmission rebuild center. He has seen this problem on a number of other cars, BMW's and Audi's. After I described the problem in detail he told me that the problem is rarely the transmission, it is usually with the engine, either the throttle body or a bad sensor. The one thing he did say was that these transmissions do have a higher failure rate of the valve body compared to the older 5 speeds.

Just one more data point.
SchwarzS6, could you forward my case to them. I'm in West Hartford, CT. My car is a good sample for them to look at if they are interested. Based solely on my knowledge, the transmission isn't at fault (even when the dealer found metal shaving in my transmission, I'm still confidence that my transmission is in good shape). The torque converter was designed way too weak to handle this car and started to slip. Valve body could solely make the RPM to dance around and, at most, rough shift. In these car, RPM dancing around is the start of torque converter slipage.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 163 Likes on 117 Posts

I am not sure that would do much good. They do not work on cars. Someone else has to pull the tranny and send it to them for rebuild. The will rebuild the torque converter, the valve body or the entire tranny. You would need to find a local shop to do the dirty work.

Sounds like you have the same symptoms I do. If one of us can figure it out it would be great. PM me with your contact information and we should talk.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6
I am not sure that would do much good. They do not work on cars. Someone else has to pull the tranny and send it to them for rebuild. The will rebuild the torque converter, the valve body or the entire tranny. You would need to find a local shop to do the dirty work.

Sounds like you have the same symptoms I do. If one of us can figure it out it would be great. PM me with your contact information and we should talk.
Didn't see your reply until now. I'm in West Hartford. Are you local? I'm on my phone. Will send you contact info later tonight.