A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Voice Command issues, or "I'm sorry, Dave, but I can't do that"

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voice Command issues, or "I'm sorry, Dave, but I can't do that"

Has anybody else with voice command experienced a problem where you press the button and you don't get the "go ahead" beep? Several times in the last couple days, I've started the car and attempted to switch radio stations before heading out...and nothing.

I thought maybe it was associated with clicking on accept (nope), or whether or not I'm in gear with or without my seatbelt on (doesn't appear to be), or perhaps what gear I'm in (again, doesn't seem to be the case).
Old 04-30-2005, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The button has a sensitive spot. You need to be almost dead on it.

This keeps it from triggering accidentally.

Take a deep breath, and notice when it beeps and when it doesn't.

It got me too. There've been about 20 times that I've almost marked something as a problem. Then, after thinking about it for a little bit, I realized what had happened, and have come to understand Audi's design philosophy too.

The next thing you should note and remember is that voice recognition ONLY accepts commands to move to another "bank" of commands, such as "satellite radio" or "navigation" and the commands for the current bank. If you start giving directory commands without changing to the directory "bank", you'll have issues.

Otherwise, I'm amazed at how well it works! Truthfully, the thumbwheels on the steering wheel keep me from using voice all that often, and I find myself seldom using the big MMI ****. Sometimes I even turn off the MMI screen.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: The button has a sensitive spot. You need to be almost dead on it.

Yeah, it took me a few days to figure out the bit about it only accepting detailed commands for the active function. Man, was I ever pissed when I couldn't tell it "80s Hits" with the nav map displayed!!

I find myself using voice more than the thumbwheel to change between a half-dozen or so radio stations and my CDs. It's easier to do that on sat radio because the organization of the station list is by category rather than station number (at least it is on Sirius). The stations I like are close in number, but much more distant by category. I do wish it had a "Channel X" function on satellite radio to go with the specific frequency commands on AM and FM.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Use the station memory.

You can have up to 25 stations on any of the three bands (AM, FM, XM/Sirius). Then, you can just scroll between them using the left thumbwheel. Press in to select a station.

The Audi frequently has me asking a question, then, once I've found out how it's done, realizing that I was asking the wrong question.

Also, the stations in your voice list are NOT the same as the ones in your memory/favorites list.

Finally, if you go to setup, you can have your stations displayed by category OR by number.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Use the station memory.

How do I get display by number in setup? I've seen category and name, but not number...I can't imagine that XM implementation is different than Sirius. Even if I clear the category filter it still displays by category!

EDIT: Nevermind. I see number and name in the setup menu. But it still seems to sort first by category, with the setup selection as a secondary criterion.

Oh well...if this is my biggest complaint (actually, not being able to turn on the fogs with the lights on Auto is my biggest complaint), I'm going to be a very happy driver for a very long time!
Old 05-01-2005, 10:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Wait until there's enough fog to reflect the headlights and watch what happens...
Old 05-02-2005, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You're kidding...they come on by themselves?
Old 05-02-2005, 06:46 AM

Default Can hear beep, but voice says "cancel"

I always get the beep, but then it's a toss-up whether or not the voice recog will respond. The first time I used it, perfection. Now, it's flaky.

Any suggestions?
Old 05-02-2005, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Need more detail. When does it say cancel? Immediately?

Try speaking toward the sunroof controls (where the mike is). Which commands are you having problems with?
Old 05-02-2005, 05:42 PM

Default First no response, then it says "cancel" after 30 seconds?

but, it makes sense that it would say cancel if it didn't hear me. Hmmmm....I will try speaking closer to the sun roof, although I always speak in the same direction (I think) and it seems sometimes to hear my 1st command.

Quick Reply: Voice Command issues, or "I'm sorry, Dave, but I can't do that"