A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Voice recognition

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 05:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voice recognition

Anyone know if voice recognition is included on 2007 4.2 S-Line, or do you have to get Technology Package?
Old 11-22-2006, 06:23 AM
ESN
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need the Technology Package, but its worth every penny.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

It is cool to have but I find I need to argue with that woman sometimes to get what I want ;-)
Old 11-22-2006, 06:51 AM
Cat Herder

Don't we all
Old 11-22-2006, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

LOL ... good one !!
Old 11-22-2006, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Re: Voice recognition

Your A6 with MMI and the technology package will come with voice.

It will need it.

By my count -- while sitting in traffic one day -- ther are 82 buttons, *****, dials, levers, etc to look at, press, turn lift, pull or fiddle with. If you have a completely hands free and eyes free phone you are lucky (that's the way it should be.)

This car needs voice as standard just to fool around with the Radio and CD, to say nothing of the Navigation system.

It is, by other's standards, a "good" system. It is over 95% accurate (it works 19 out of 20 times the first time for me, that is.)

There are better systems from other companies.

It could save your life once you delve deeply into all the stuff it can do for you whilst you are driving and keeping your eyes on the road.

Don't leave home without it.

If you don't have it this time, you'll surely need it next time unless they start decontenting these things (unlikely.)

When I got mine it was a no brainer for $350 MSRP -- hell I think the pushbutton start should be $350 and the voice is WORTH $750 (but when I got mine advanced key was $750 and voice command was $350 -- it was only afterwards I realized how much more valuable voice was than advanced key -- even though I do like coming to the car with my hands almost full and not having to fish the fob out to press a button.)

Overall voice is "****."
Old 11-22-2006, 10:37 AM

Default HLEP: How come the mannual gives no instructions for Voice commands?

I know I have it, the dealer "called out" phone numbers when he was demo'ing it for me...

But, all I can do is say "Phone, navi, etc"...and I am lost from there on...What am I missing?

Can you orally input a destination?

John

2007, A6 4.2, Peral Effect Blue w/Ameretto int S-line, Tech, Spoiler, Tint...oh so sweet....
Old 11-22-2006, 11:07 AM
ESN
Elder Member

Default If you have given a voice tag to a destination stored in your directory, you can use voice ..

activation to navigate to that destination.

There is a separate MMI instruction manual that has all this info. It all takes some time to learn (three afternoons in the driveway for me) but is extemely useful once you have mastered it.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Say "Help" to the voice command system and she will read off a list of commands
Old 11-22-2006, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Breathe deep, the gathering gloom. . .

All of this stuff IS in a manual that comes with the car. You can get most of the way there by saying, for instance:

"Radio"

then

"Help Radio"

Here is a simple thing to do:

Tune the radio to the station you want, it does not matter if it is AM, FM or Sirius (or XM if that is what you have.) You can save the station (non verbally) by rotating the MMI **** after you have entered memory mode which is entered by pushing the upper left inside button (surrounding the MMI main ****.)

Now your radio station is stored and can be accessed via the thumb wheel on the left side of the steering wheel.

If this is a station you want to recall via voice (and this is optional to recall this station by voice, don't you know): you say

"Store Station"

The Audi MMI lady asks you to say the name. You can call it Sleepy, Dopey, Sneezy or Doc for all it knows. I stored the Vault this way:

Store Station

The name please

The Vault

Again please

The Vault

The station named The Vault has been stored.

===

The telephone is easy:

Say "telephone" after you press the talk button on the right hand side of the steering wheel (which is how you initiate ALL voice commands).

She will say "telephone."

You say "dial number"

She sais "the number please"

You may say in rapid fashion up to 7 digits at once, do not pause, just say them clearly.

She will say "1234567" please continue

You will either give her more numbers or you will say "dial"

She then dials it for you and you are done.

The manual, to me, is a bit less clear on storing name in the directory for the phone (the Audi's MMI directory, that is) and the nav system.

You can input your "HOME" phone number and your "HOME" nav coordinates whilst you are in set up mode.

Once you get the number entered on the screen you say Store Number or Store Name (it will tell you on the Help Screen) and again the Audi MMI lady will ask you for the name, you say whatever you want of course, but I would say

"Home"

Then when you say "call home" while you are in telephone mode, the number will be called.

You must have the directory open to the name Home while you input the coordinates into the nav system, then you say again store name, and you say again "home" and then when you say, "navigation" in the future, you follow the prompt with "Navigate to Home." Son of a bitch if she doesn't say "would you like to navigate to the indicated destination?" which is shown on your screen.

You simply say "yes" and that is all there is to it.

Making certain that the correct directory entry is open while saving the voice command was, for me, the tricky part.

It is not rocket surgery, but it is a little convoluted, but I suspect that is because the directory has a dual purpose, both telephone AND navigation entries come from a common point of input.

If you can run Windows and Intenet Expolorer and Word and Excel and Power Point and stuff like we use all the time (most of us anyway), you will not have too much of a problem once you get the first one done.

Quick Reply: Voice recognition