A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Weak FM - No AM

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 10:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MikekiM@PureMS
If you're running a metallic tint, it'll cut down on radio reception considerably.

Visit your favorite tint shop and talk to them about swapping the tint out for more radio friendly tint.
I'm back to the dealer next week on some other follow up, so I'm going to put it on them for a start. One more thing: does the tint effect both AM and FM? And would it completely eliminate AM reception. (the radio scans for am stations and comes up with nothing in either local or distant setting.)
Old 05-11-2009, 11:17 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by CvilleAudi
I'm back to the dealer next week on some other follow up, so I'm going to put it on them for a start. One more thing: does the tint effect both AM and FM? And would it completely eliminate AM reception. (the radio scans for am stations and comes up with nothing in either local or distant setting.)
It did on my car. I removed the tint and reception for AM and FM both came back.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It did on my car. I removed the tint and reception for AM and FM both came back.
Thanks for the info!!!
Old 05-13-2009, 06:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you're running a metallic tint, it'll cut down on radio reception considerably.
I don't know about that - unless your metallic tint is in the line of sight of the radio signal (e.g. your antenna is inside the car). Seems a bit specious.

More than likely it's the antenna. VAG products use amplified antennae for AM and FM. When the amplifier (contained in the antenna base) goes out, this is exactly what happens - no AM reception and lousier FM reception. I've had it happen on three VWs.

-K2
Old 05-15-2009, 05:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Update:

Got my car back from the dealer yesterday. When I picked it up the rep. told me they ordered a new amp for the antena and I scheduled a retun visit. So I go out, start up my car, and bam, there's AM reception and better FM. I went back inside and basically said WTF to the service rep. He gave a deer in the headlights look, said "maybe there was a loose connections, but the amp needs to be replaced, and it's under warranty."

Not that I don't think a new amp is a good idea; but it kind of makes me wonder about what's going on when I drop my car off for service......
Old 11-24-2009, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default New Radio AMP - fixes FM and AM reception for 9 seconds only - then static

2002 A4 had fried amtenna booster with broken SMC. Audi diagnosed it as bad - rather than allow my dad to pay 500+ dollars, I had him buy one and I replaced it for him in 3 minutes. It immediately fixed the bad radio reception - for 9 seconds - then it goes back to like it was with the broken amp. I thought it was a heat problem, but it is always 9 seconds regardless of how many times i fire up the radio. Each time I fire up the radio - it works fine for 9 seconds then PPFFT! Anyone heard of this?? This is the updated board revision ending in "P."
Thanks!!
Old 02-18-2010, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Can someone tell me where the antenna amp is located and how to get to it? I have no AM and FM is compromised. Thanks.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default I have tint also but that is not a problem.

What is likely happening is that the antenna boost connection was loose. I found out about this little function when I installed an after-market radio on another car. If the power boost wire is not connected to battery voltage, FM is weak and AM is gone. Connect it and presto, great reception.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by g_henrys
Can someone tell me where the antenna amp is located and how to get to it? I have no AM and FM is compromised. Thanks.
Located at the roof top near the rear window top. you need to pull off the back roof top trim.